1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Better Outdoor Products Going Out of Business ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMowerKing10, Jul 11, 2012.

1. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

They would have been far better off if they had produced a product with a quality cut and deck design.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I talked with my banker friend and he said it doesn't sound good. He said the introduction of venture capitalists as investors was probably a mistake. These types of people are only interested in how much money they can make, any way they can make it. This may have something to do with why BOP suddenly started selling the wheeled blowers that were another manufacturers product with BOP paint. Gary was probably under intense pressure from the venture capitalists to produce profits any way he could.
  3. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I'm glad I didn't buy all the hype on this site that was building there for a while. It seemed like every other thread two or three years ago was about BOP. Sounds to me like even when they were in business you couldn't get them to respond to email, phone calls, or anything else. If you are going to sell mowers direct, you at least have to have someone prepared to take orders and ship parts, tech questions, etc.
  4. PremierT&L

PremierT&L LawnSite Member

I doubt either of you have any actual experience with BOP.

I started the maintenance division of my company with 2 BOPs, and they served me very well. The quality of cut is very good, they are very lightweight an compact, and they cost less than half of a turf tracer or something similar. The low price was most important to me since I didn't want to take on10 grand plus in debt for a couple of mowers when I was getting started. I had very few mechanical problems, but when I did have problems or questions, it was very easy to get Tommy or someone else on the phone. Customer service was excellent. I never had a single problem ordering parts or getting someone to answer the phone.

I now own V-rides and turf tracers, which are great machines, but I still like and use my dually 36. The dually has become my personal mower which I use when I mow with the guys which is usually once or twice a week.

I don't know what's going on with BOP, but I hope they survive. Good people with good little machines.
  5. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you ever cut with one? I have one and it leaves the grass as smooth as the top of a pool table. Regardless of what has happened to BOP, they've developed a forward-looking and innovative product. For now, they're also selling replacement parts to keep the machines out there running.
  6. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

My only experience with them is reading posts from owners of them on here. Looking at the thread below I'm glad I don't own one.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed, BOP made great compact mowers at a good price point.
    I was well pleased with mine, nice moneymaker. Striped even better than my TTHP.
    BOP going under made me exit stage right, and that was the only reason.
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Thats pretty much been my experience.
  9. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe they should have named it "BEST Outdoor Products".

Good. Better. Best.

Hmmm... Yeah, let's go with "mediocre".

10. PremierT&L

PremierT&L LawnSite Member

You read it on the internet so it must be true? You do realize that the thread you posted is not from when they were still conducting regular business?

The fact is their customer service was excellent, and you can still get parts very quickly.

Maybe they are done, I have no idea, but there's no reason pile on, or spread false rumors. These are good folks that were running a good old fashioned American business. I hope they make it.