Better quality of cut, Toro Proline or Honda HRC?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tamo, Apr 19, 2008.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

Which would you rather have a brand new 2007 Toro Proline with 6.5 Kaw for $990.00 or a Honda HRC for $1100.00?

I love the maneuverability and compactness of the Toro, but I've been mowing with an old 2 cycle Suzuki Toro this week and haven't been really impressed by the quality of the cut. It was leaving random blades of grass every now and again. (Maybe is just because its an older mower?)

I had been using Honda home owner models and was always impressed with the cut even when they started to break down -- never an uncut blade.

Anyone find that the Honda gives a considerably better cut then Toro? I know the Toro I found is a great price, but I hate leaving a yard and not being confident in the cut.

From posts on here I understand Toro's mulch better. Maybe I get the Honda, and I'll always have the Suzuki Toro for mulching.

Thanks

2. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

We use Honda mowers here(Olympia, WA). They work great for bagging, but the grass is too wet and thick here to mulch. We bought some custom bags that another LCO made. These bags are vented better then the originals, and hold more grass. Almost everybody around here uses Honda. I would be curious to try a Toro.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I have both, Tip speed has to be up on the Toro , set eng at 3600 rpm. The Honda does better at not leaving stragglers though the Toro is quite acceptable set up right. The Honda is better in wet grass bagging or mulching, but I have not mulched with the Kaw on a Toro, only with the 2-cycle. Do not get the Toro with a blade brake as it obstructs the cutting chamber both bagging and mulching, just disable the operater presence and add a kill switch on the other Toro model.

4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

The toro leaves a great cut bag or mulch. Also it is much lighter and less complicated than a honda. Check out dfw area landscaper threads on honda. He hates them.

5. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

damn sounds like a lot of folks have issues with the Honda.

I actually broke out the new Toro today for the first time to check out the cut on my own yard and wasn't impressed -- left a ton of stragglers and the cut just didn't look polished. It'll drive me crazy every time I leave a lawn and don't feel right about the cut. I did half of the yard with my Honda residential and the difference was huge.

I really want to take the Toro back and get the Honda instead. Anyone out there have anything positive to say about the HRC??

6. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

I've had an HRC216 hydro for 2 or 3 seasons now. It's well made and typically Honda dependable. Requires very little maintenance. It is heavy (150 lbs wet?). It came with a plug in the discharge door for mulching. My experience with this mower is it clogs up the deck and bogs down too easily when mulching fairly short grass with the plug in so I leave the plug out. This allows clippings to escape out the discharge door (the blow of the blades opens the door slightly). This works well if the grass isn't too long, but if it is, the clippings will clog the discharge door. I also have an attachment to allow it to discharge clippings to the left. It does this very well. My HRC cost about $1200 if I remember correctly. It's been a fine, reliable mower for me, but I've had other Honda mowers that mulched and cut better. I'm not sure I'd buy it again. I have no experience with Toro mowers. HTH

7. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a HRX217TDA (residential model) and I cannot find anything better to replace it.
    It is lighter to handle and has more power and torque than the commercial models. It gives a perfect cut in any combination of conditions (wet, dry, thick, mulch, bag, discharge, etc...).
    The money saved from buying commercial is enough to buy a new engine and transmission when needed and I don't even see that happening anytime soon.
    I just replaced the air filter and adjusted the self propel cable and this thing runs like new after two years of use.
    Blades are super easy to sharpen with a simple hand held sharpener or my belt grinder if I have some ZTR blades to do as well.
    I am still considering a small 36" ZTR or walk behind (Quick 36") but for the price, the Honda is hard to beat.

8. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, basically his entire Honda fleet has tranny problems and it costs $400 bucks plus a day of his own time to fix.

9. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

I like the Toro, I to had a problem with the cut on it but it turn out that the mower blade was not holding an edge (very used up blade) bought a new blade and it works fine.

10. j05h22

j05h22 LawnSite Member

I have a 2 cycle suzuki Toro as well.... I jsut put a new blade on it and it cuts great.