1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Better Quick 36 really has 39" deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AustinPro, Dec 1, 2004.

1. AustinPro

AustinPro LawnSite Member

I know there's been a lot more discussion on the Quick 36 lately and I've searched all the threads on it already, but I was hoping someone who owns one of these could tell me exactly how wide this mower is not including any part of the discharge chute.

On their website it is listed at 39.5" wide with the chute up, 39.0" with the mulch plate on.

I think I read in another thread that someone measured it at 38", but I can't locate that thread again.

I was just wondering, why the extra 2-3 inches of deck width on a 36" cut? My Exmark TTHP36 measures about 36.5" with the mulch plate on and I barely squeeze through a handful of gates and I'm sure it doesn't clear half the gates by more than 2 inches.

If this Quick 36 works just as many of you say it does, I think it would be worth giving it a shot with all my small gated lawns, but I don't think I would take the chance on it if I can't get it into many of my back yards. I think there would be a huge market for this mower in my region but Better Outdoors would need to shave a bit off the deck.
  2. AustinPro

Anyone know?
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

they have a banner at the top of the page. why don't you click it and see if they have a contact link. they might get right back with you.

GEO :)
  4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I thought the same thing. I E-mailed gary at better and he said that it would only be a matter of "arcing through.

here's the E-mail:Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your interest in the Quick 36 mower.

Our mower, with the chute in the "up" position, is 39" wide. At the
    wheels, it's 31" wide. Passing through a 37" gate would be a matter of
    "arcing" the deck through and then continuing on in. I don't believe that
    you'd have a problem.

Shipping is included in our price for the Continental US, so we'll pay
    to get your machine to the west coast. From there to Hawaii, is an
    additional $240. One nice thing is that, in Hawaii, all Roadway deliveries
    are home deliveries.

Thanks again. Please let me know what you would like to do.

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Too bad, 39 inches won't cut it on my tight gates that my TTHP goes right through[35.5in cut 36in deck] what a engineering booboo, make a mower targeted at residential and then blow it at what makes a 36 in hydro shine, the abilty to eat up small gated residential lawns. Arch it through the gate, ya right.
  6. AustinPro

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Arcing it through? I understand what he means by that, since the wheels are so much more narrow than the deck, and maybe it could be done on all the gates... I've just never tried it.

I'm just curious why the deck needs to be a whole 3" wider than the cutting width in the first place? I'll contact Gary directly and try to find out why. Maybe it creates a better cut or something? Better discharge?
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, and you guys also forget this is a 3 blade machine as apposed to 2. So the deck is shorter and you would probably be surprised how small of gates you could swing it through.
  8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

That's 39 "w/the discharge Chute Up....

What if you Just took the Stupid Thing Off ?!?
  9. AustinPro

The specs have it at 39" with the mulch plate on, so I'm assuming that's without the discharge chute. What I read on their website had it at 39.5" with discharge chute up.
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

very good observation ENVY!!! I used to have to do this with the LESCO and I could get it through a gate I couldn't come close to driving through.