1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Better Quick 36

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, May 23, 2006.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Thinking about getting a 36 WB. The Better Quick 36 Super Duty Compact Hydro is looking good for the price range I can work with. My only concern with it is no local dealer support. While I have dealers for Toro, Ferris, Snapper, Jacobsen, Exmark, etc. For the most part, the latter seem like they are a little more expensive than the Quick. Would you guys pay the difference to have a local dealer?
  2. Grits

from Florida

All the opinions you guys throw around on this board and no one has a reply........amazing!
  3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

...anything that goes wrong under warranty BOP/Gary will work with your local dealer until said problem is resolved. Briggs and Kaw...lingo universally spoken even @ your local Ma and Pa mower repair shop.

I like my Q36 SD because it is compact, lightweight, give a great cut, easy to maneuver and green is a cool color.

Hope that helps!
  4. landscape guy

landscape guy LawnSite Member

Im on my 5th year with my 36ferris with out any problems except belts, and it works hard every day. and it fits in most yards.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The one negative I am aware of is the single hydro, it is hard on hills and needs muscle to turn.
  6. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Check out HUSTLER! I am very satisfied w/ mine (36 hydro), but 70% of my props have gates. I have owned 48 exmark and scag wb's, The Hustler is pretty darn impressive!!
  7. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I would not classify the single hydro as a 'negative'; on any given hill, I would rather be behind my Q36 than my 44" belt. Likewise with turning.
  8. Grits

from Florida

I wasn't aware of the single hydro when I wrote the original post. It is kind of making me rethink the Quick. But is there a 36" WB dual hydro around the $2500 price range? I have done a lot of internet searches but it is hard to find an actual price for any of the commercial mowers.
  9. gottamow

gottamow LawnSite Member

I believe most dual hyro WB's will start somewhere in the $4000 range. I just purchased a Quick 36 Super Fox (has 13hp Briggs commercial) and am totally happy with it. I just picked up a commercial account and was mowing tall grass the first time (10-12"). It was great for getting over the curbs on all the "islands" and the perfect size for mowing these areas. The Super Duty or Samari would be even better with the extra power. I'd recommend any of their commercial mowers.
  10. nekos

nekos LawnSite Member
    from chicago

i was seriously considering a quick 36 but few thing's really turned me off .

first of all it's to damn wide ! the thing is 39" wide with the deflector shield off !!! that right there made my decision. it just wouldn't work for me.

the next thing that really buged me was the single hydro ... whats the point ?
    a 36" mower isn't that heavy or hard to muscle around to begin with.
    now think about how you turn a belt drive ... you pull the mower back about 6" then let the wheel's turn the mower into the uncut grass.
    with the single hydro the mower will reverse itself but you have to turn it into the uncut grass.
    < hope i explained that right lol >

anyway JMHO the single hydro would be great on flat area's.
    if you have hill's < even small one's > a belt drive would probably be the better choice.