Better stripes with a WB? Different sulky? Stripe kit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eclipse, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to purchase a ZTR but many of my properies are better mowed with a walk behind. The problem is a ZTR with a stripe kit lays a much better stripe than almost any walk behind I have seen (with the exception of out till dark's stripes). I am trying to figure out how to get the best stripe out of a walk behind.

I was thinking a Bull Rider Sulky, this should put the sulky wheels in line with the drive tires on the mower and eliminite the sulky stripes messing up the stripe of the mower. I think a Pro slide would be great for stripes but I think I am a bit too heavy for a Pro Slide. Then I was thinking of adding to this a Big League Lawns stripe kit. I am hoping the combination of these two things could make my WB stripe nearly as good as a ZTR.

What do you think?

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Quick 36 with a big league roller and it lays some serious stripes ...sulky is my next purchase ...and I am sure it stripes as well as a Z

3. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know I think my w/b with sulky lays a pretty good set of stripes. Oh yeah I am A World Champion Striper!:laugh:

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, a two wheel sulky will help.

That and a stripe flap and you are set.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a BLL striper behind my Ferris 36 and it leaves stripes as good as the BLL striper that is behind my Dixie. When you move up from playing with flaps and other toys to a real striper it doesn't matter what the striper is behind. The rollers lay the grass over just as far as it going to go and there is no arguing with that.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What kind of a walk do you have?? exmark makes a roller for there walks

7. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I believe the exmark roller is only avalable for the 52 and 60" TT's. You could do a search on here for "striping kit", there are an endless supply of striping kit ideas to choose from. But the Big league is an amasing roller. If you run something like the big league I don't think a sulky will mes the stripe up too much. Toro has one that lines the sulky tires up with the drive tires you could look into as well, but for striping I don't think you could beat the Pro-Slide.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

All exmark walks but the belt or fixed deck ones.

9. jdramr4

jdramr4 LawnSite Member

Check out the new hustler striping sulkie.

10. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Congradulations on the "Best of 2006"

Pictures from the "World Champion" are posted below.

John Gamba and Envy would most likely agree. You may have heard of him his name was Eric Elm. Many here have learned alot from him, and a few took him up on his live striping lessons.

There are dozens of his pictures on here, look his profile up.

010829-012.jpg

010829-009.jpg

010829-001.jpg

010829-016.jpg