better stripping, super mini

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Farmer Jon, May 14, 2003.

1. Farmer Jon

Farmer Jon LawnSite Member

looking for a stripping kit or suggestions for better stripping and cutting. i'm leaving some standing grass as it misses a little more frequently than i'm used to, even at slow speeds. can i double stack the blades?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes you can double stack your blades, I would make sure first, that your current blades are sharp and your deck is clean.
    As for a striping kit, there is a aftermarket one available.
    Here is there website:
    http://www.bigleaguelawns.com/

Hope this helps
    Later
    Pj

3. syncom2

syncom2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Farmer Jon…
    Seems the two of us are having parallel experiences with the cut quality of our Super Mini Z's.
    My Mini (also powered with the 24 HP Honda) was a demo unit that had 'bout 17 hours on it when it was delivered earlier this spring. The (new-to-me) rig had been serviced (blades sharpened) before delivery. Thus far, I've mowed with it five times (1.5 acres per clippin') this spring. In all fairness here, I haven't spoken with my dealer about the quality of cut… yet.
    Just so I'd know, I did measure the front to rear blade height differential on the right (discharge) blade. The leading front end of the blade was .125" lower than the rear… which I'm thinking I read someplace that it should be more like .25". Anyway, most of the ragged grass that I'm seeing being left is right under the spindle area(s) of the deck. I've slowed my mowing speed down… some, which helped somewhat, but I'm still not getting the results I'm willing to settle for in the long run. I really hate to think I'd hafta double-up the blades to get the quality of cut that a $7000 machine should offer… in my biased opinion.
    Outside of getting the mower deck fine-tuned / adjusted to meet closer to and/or more of my preconceived expectations, it's been a most wonderful addition of "toys" to my garage!
    mb

4. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

What blades are you using?

5. syncom2

syncom2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Excel 25,
    Being the Super Mini Z that I purchased was a demo unit, I'm blindly assuming (???) that it has the regular ole stock blades affixed underneath it. I'm not schooled in mower blades, but this I do know, they sure don't look like the gator cutters I've seen pictures of on LawnSite. Now whether or not they're high lifts, or what have ya… I'm clueless, I dunno. Suggestion(s)?
    But anyway…
    I'm, wondering here, does the .125 front to rear blade pitch seem to be within an acceptable range of proper operation? If that might be the problem, then I reckon I can break out the ole tool box and do a session with the tools and manual in hand. I sorta lean more towards the side… "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it" mode in life. No sense in me fiddling and potentially messin' something up with the set-up that maybe adding a new add-on gadget or blade would rectify the problem at hand with.
    Thanks!
    mb

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The blade pitch should be about 1/4 inch lower in the front than the rear.
    On the Hustler you do not measure this from the deck top like you may with other brands, you must measure it from the actual blades.
    There is a very detailed instruction on this in the owners manual.
    If you do not feel comfortable doing this or feel it may not take care of the problem cutting you are having, please take your unit back to your dealer to do this.
    When did you purchase your unit and from what dealer ?
    Please e-mail me this info @ hustlerturfequipment@msn.com

Thanks
    Pj

7. syncom2

syncom2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Mowerconsultant,
    Being that nearly seven days has elapsed since reading your last responding post for this particular thread, is not your e-mail system working… or is it my end that has failed to pull us towards some common thread of further understanding about the cut quality issue(s) of the Super Mini Z? In saying that I realize you must be one extremely busy guy at this peak of the growing season, so I do understand the busyness issue you have calling the minute by minute shots on your end. But then again, maybe my letter to ya last week never made it that far down the pike!?!???
    Anyway…
    After reading, and then re-reading my owner's manual on how to set up the mower deck for the Super Mini Z, I do have a few questions (… that I hope aren't too stupid!!) that I was wondering about.
    Upon reading that one is to place the mower deck up on four 3" blocks, and begin the adjustments from that point forward, after following those listed sets of instructions, will that give me that .25" pitch that my blades need by the time it's all been said and done?
    Question; Being I'm 'bout 15 miles from my mower as I write this, which means I cannot simply go out and measure my mower deck, I was wondering if the actual front and rear sides of the deck measure the same distance (depth… from top to bottom) on the rear side of the deck as the front? If that is (and/or) would be so - so that the two heights are equal, then would the three spindles be bolted in at a slight angle (with a tapered top deck) in order to get that needed pitch… or am I way off base with both wonderings on my part? I guess what I'm failing to prematurely see in my mind's eye is how blocking the deck 3" off a level floor (equally, on all four corners) will allow the front to rear tip ends of the blades to end up at a slight angle to the floor… if the front and rear sides of the deck itself were of equal height. Then again, maybe all this .25 pitch comes about as the chains and what have you are being adjusted themselves. I dunno…
    Anyway, I haven't taken the mower to… or called the dealer about this cut quality issues 'cos at some point in time, I'm going to have to take complete ownership of this rig, especially so once it's out of warranty. Sooo unless there's a major problem with the deck, blades, mower or what have you… which I don't for a second believe there is, I'd just as soon try to get that proper pitch restored to factory specs while it's sittin' in my garage. And once that's been accomplished, and if there'd still be some cut-quality problems with it, I'll deal with 'em as they arise. It might be as simple as slowing down even more than I have… but I don't believe that's the totality of it.
    Thanks and have a GRAND & SAFE Memorial Day weekend!
    mb

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes I am very busy this time of year, but I am never to busy to answer a question or at least find out the answer to your questions.
    I did not recieve your e-mail, please resend it to me.
    E-mail it to hustlerturfequipment@msn.com

Thanks
    Pj

9. Farmer Jon

Farmer Jon LawnSite Member

my mini seems to not miss anything if i'm cutting off only an 1" or 2. looks great then. but any taller and it's means alotta' double cutting to get that groomed appearance. i'm gonna double stack the blades tomorrow for the upcoming week and see how that does. any word on the "new jet" set-up for the honda carb?