better than a late fee

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 21, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i am trying out a new policy. instead of a late fee, this is the way it will go down, i am currently using it on one habitual late payer, and i'm making a mint off him. no more per cut billing. you are billed a flat rate for the season, that is broken down into 9 equal payments. let's say it's a $30 mow x 30 mows per season. the bill is $100 per month. if the payment is not recieved by the due date, your property will not be serviced that week, period. when your payment is recieved, service will commence on the next regularly scheduled day. no refunds for missed services. it's like this, the regularly scheduled day for this area is thursday. i go to the post office once a week, on monday morning. if the payment due date is the 1st, and i make my monday trip to the post office, and your payment is not there, you do not get serviced on thursday, and in fact, not at all that week. next monday rolls around, i make my post office trip, your check is there, you'll see me thursday. if your check isnt there, you will once again be skipped this week. i tried this approach on one customer this year, he is always late by 10-14 days. i end up cutting his lawn twice a month, for $60 each time, rather than once a week for $30. and it's no extra work, there is alot of shade, it doesn't grow much. this beats the hell out of a $10-$15 late fee once a month, it's like i'm getting $60 in late fees each month. watta you think? i know, i know, i'm a genious

2. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Creative approach bobby,

You must have these customers in a tight contract to have them staying with you...

Really a creative approach, I would just be a little worried about the neighbours thinking my company was unreliable b/c we only showed up every other week, and I wouldn't want that to be representative of my work.

You've got so many ideas I wish I had the time to read them! Keep posting!

3. IN2MOWING

IN2MOWING LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

He already said he was unreliable in another thread so obviously it doesnt matter to him.

But as far as this one goes. Its an easy way to make money without lifting a finger. Some might call it stealing though. It wouldnt work with any of mine thats for sure.

4. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Yer a jenius.

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I still can't figure out why you have any customers at all Booby...

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah Bobby......your a gen.....a gen.....a gen....sorry, I can't say it. It just doesn't feel right.