1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Better than expected numbers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Have any of you guys ever had a year where it didn't seem to you that it was a great year... and the when you actually sit down and start doing your 'year endings' and taxes and so forth... you're just really surprised by the numbers?

I've been working on mine and I never realized I was doing that well for 2006.

I mean I forced myself to lay back some and not sweat the numbers constantly on purpose.
    But that doesn't really account for all of it.

I mean to me, it felt like I was running lean during the year.
    So now I have that weird feeling with the head scratching going on...

After thinking on it a while, I guess I feel this way for a few reasons.

1) Maybe because my lifestyle was status quo to an extent?
    2) Had an expensive year in personal finances.

3) Feel this way because I did not have the major business spending of previous years?

Anyways... just figuring maybe it is a feeling someone else might have experienced.
  2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I had a better than expected year as well. I attributed it to the above average rainfall we received here during the late summer and fall. Expenses were ok. I purchased less equipment than usual in '06.
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah last year when we had a drought but this year was great. I think you need to get a good accounting program like Quickbooks Pro or something to help you track how your business is doing on a daily/weekly basis. I always know where I stand financially and how the business is doing. I track numbers every day so if something is off I can fix it.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have to wait till year end to know how I am doing :rolleyes:
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i know what i made, but wasnt sure where i stood until monday when i saw the tax man.... my equipment purchases and the rest of my deductions really made a difference this year, .....very pleasently surprised...

we did have a longer then normal growing season also...
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

QB keeps me up on that monthly ..... I'm a number crunch freak so I'm always on it .... I was actually down 8.5% from 2005 ....but we had a dry summer with no storms ....hope to be up in 2007

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't wait till the end of the year to crunch #,i know if a profit is made the worst is help,taxes and major breakdowns.
  8. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

i made 800 more on my 1 only commercial acc. compared to 05. i did extra work but i didnt think it added up that much...thanks
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, don't get me wrong, I knew I was doing OK.

I do my own books totally myself and have everything in place I need.
    I just made it a point this year to lay back a little on things and 'cruise'.
    That was a personal goal for the year.

Typically I am like this...
    I don't use quick books (have my own methods) but I'm generally also a number crunch freak.

It's good to be that way, but also good not to be obsessed with it too-too much.
    You can consume a lot of time with it and also burn yourself out to a degree.

Anyways, for me the strange feeling was that to me it did not seem like as good of a year as it was during the year. I didn't really realize it until I got in-dept with my financial analysis. Realized I had been doing better than I gave myself credit for.

So then I began to analyze myself... wondering if I have had a personal 'attitude shift' that's not good.... Or if it was the fact my lifestyle was status quo for the year.... Or if it was the fact I didn't have the big business spending.... Or if it was the fact I've had an expensive personal financial year.

To be honest I'm still not sure.
    Dunno if I had an attitude shift.
    Or if the lack of business spending made it seem that way.
    Or if it seemed that way in my personal finance.

I know we sometimes will 'gauge' growing success by tangible physical things instead of number crunching without realizing it.

Hell, I'm probably not making any sense because I can't put my finger on it myself.
  10. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

The 06 was ok for me.
    05 was my better year. Hopefully 07 will be better than 05.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: