Between walk-behind and riding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kakuenzli, Jul 10, 2004.

1. kakuenzli

kakuenzli LawnSite Member

I have been amazed by the vast knowledge the users on this forum have about lawn equipment and lawn care, so I hope you all can help me. I just built a house recently and the builders graded the yard with some slopes/hills. Unfortunately, my Scott's self-propelling push mower is having a hard time going up the hills. As a result, I was looking into buying a riding mower and really looked at a JD LT160 Freedom, but in the meantime my father-in-law loaned me his JD R-72 rear engine riding mower. The first time I used it, I felt like I did not have much control and it struggled going up the hills some. Are riding mowers within the $2700 price range this bad? Now I am thinking about getting a walk-behind, but my wife does not see any point in doing that because she views a walk-behind and a push mower as being equal. Can you help me? Thanks.

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

How big is the property? Can you walk on the hills/slopes without difficulty?

3. kakuenzli

kakuenzli LawnSite Member

The property is a little less than half an acre. I can walk up and down the hills without any problem in the back but the side property in the front is steeper.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

lawn tractors and walkbehinds are NOT equal. you will have more problems with scalping with a lawn tractor that you will not have with a walkbehind.
    there is more danger of tipping over on hills with a lawn tractor because the center of gavity is higher.

take a look the quick 36 by better outdoor products its $2000. here's the link. http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't mind a little exercise I would recommend a 48" walk behind. You would have better control and maneuverabilty over a garden tractor.

If you don't need the exercise and think you may need other implements such as a pull behind cart or maybe a little plow... then a rider may be for you.

When mowing steep hills.. try to mow side to side instead of up and down.

6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

you're just using this for your own houuse right? if i were you i'd look into getting a used walk behind. you can get an excellent machine well below your price range. you also have the option of putting a sulky on it so you don't have to "walk". just my opinion though.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

All of those riders are "throw away" machines. Get a walkbehind in the color you like because it'll last you a long time. Get the dealer to throw in some Jungle Wheels too.