BEWARE!! Gator Mulchers!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captdevo, Jun 1, 2001.

1. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

I recently ordered 2 sets of Gator Mulchers for Walker 48" GHS decks out of my Silver Streak catalog and both sets hit the deck!!
    Luckily the customer i sold one set to rotated by hand first (he installed them on a new $1400 deck)
    If you do purchase blades, any for that matter, make sure you rotate by hand first.
    These could have made a mess of a new deck or even injured someone.
    I emailed Silver Streak of this, but have not had any response yet.
  2. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Mowman here. I have a set of Gators for my 54" SD Walker. I put them on and rotate by hand and they are fine. Engage the blades and they run fine for awhile then all of a SUDDEN they start BANGING together, the right one and the center blades. I can't figure it out. The Walker dealer can not figure it out either. The deck is in TIME. The Walker blades run FINE on it. Silver Streak keeps telling my dealer that my deck is out of time, that's why they are hitting. BS!!!!!!!! So there is $50.00 worth of JUNK metal setting on my work bench. Looking at them they are straight on the ends, not angled like the Walker's. And that's where they are hitting. But hey I don't know anything, I think it's a DESGIN FLAW and they don't want to ADMIT to it. I will not WASTE my MONEY on another set of Gator's for my Walker. I'm sure you'll never hear from them. Keep me informed.
  3. captdevo

As Bob Walker would say.......

"It ain't a Walker"
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you knowingly want to reduce the lift or suction of a deck by adding gators? With doubles, gators are a must, but solo, they just (dont) suck!
  5. captdevo

these are listed as hi-lifts!

Why would you manufacture and sell products that aren't under supervised quality control?

Especially something which could cause loss of limb or life if mistakes are overlooked!!

I wonder how many others have been manufactured and sold.

The point I'm trying to get across is Try all blades by hand first!!
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like another in a long list of reasons not to buy a Walker.
  7. captdevo

Sounds like you purchase your mowers by the aftermarket blades you can put on them!

Walkers are only for a select few.

Now that's creative.

Must be a professional.

It's not just Walkers though, I've had a couple different mowers in that have had this problem with aftermarket blades (not just gators)

The subject at hand is beware of aftermarket blades!!!

If you don't like Walkers, don't buy one!!

8. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever owned a Walker??

I would like to hear the rest of your list...

Jim.... A very happy owner of 2 Walkers.
  9. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i just put on one of the gators (regular gator from landscapers supply)on my waker the other day. unfortunately they only make the one side.( i have a GHS deck R&L hand rotation) and yes this blade hit the deck,so i ground down some of the areas on the blade where it was hitting. why would someone want to reduce the suction on the deck??? why not? i'm getting tired of hauling away a ton of grass clippings and would like to find a way of NOT bagging it all by whatever means possible WITHOUT having to buy a mulching deck.if this means getting a set of blades and taking off the lift or machining up a new blade disc to accept other blade configurations as in re-timing them or whatever then i guess i'll have to.shame they don't make the other (left hand rotaton) mulching blade.i've read other posts where other people were looking for the same solution. WALKER are you listening???
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

interesting post. I don't have a walker and I'm not looking at them. I have had gators on the ole lesco but it's hard to beat high lift standard blades for my work.