1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Beware of bad health,LCOs

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by old dog 80, Apr 28, 2006.

1. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

An employee of 8 years collapsed from a massive heart attack in a clients driveway yesterday.We called 911 and performed CPR as directed by the dispatcher.He is alive and in a coma.He is 49 years old.Check employees
    health history and keep up with your own! You do not want to experience what
    I have the past 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Thank God you were around to help! Damn...No warnings, symptoms???
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Gosh I am so sorry to hear that old dog...that's very sad.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I bet thats the most over looked aspect of this business there is. Most people on here take there employees health for granted. And some of the younger guy do to, its hard hot physical work that can kill or maim you for life if you have any unforeseen problems. Get a physical once a yr. no matter how badazz you are.
  5. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone can have a heart attack no matter what age. True, as you get older the chances increase but we ain't perfect.

I've seen people live into their 80's and I swear looked like they were on their death bed 20 years ago. I've seen people who look in super shape, don't smoke, don't drink, exercise, and boom the big C takes em out in 6 months.

I hope that guy lives and wish him the best but trying to predict the lifespan of somebody is impossible. Doctors even gave up, that's why you never hear them talk about "extending life" only "improving the quality of life".
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Whoa...makes me feel like I'm riding on 2 years of borrowed time. Only 49, that is scary to say the least.
  7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Prolly good to put some low dose 81 mg aspirin in us older fellas glove box.
  8. Stan's_Lawn_Service

Stan's_Lawn_Service LawnSite Member

At 39 had open heart suregy 4 bypass, and it is damged, have 40 percent use of my heart. Now 41 and still mowing yards and i got even more yards (68 of them now). You never know, so get checked often as you can. And be careful. Stan Lawn Service , Stan an Jenn
  9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

i have to take a cpr course every year on the job, always thought it was a big waste of time. that is until 1995 when a 8 year old girl had a severe allergic reaction at an outing. had to give her rescue breathing till the ambulance arrived. most terrified i've ever been. she lived and is all grown up now. give the course to all your employees, its no joke.
  10. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Much as we all are around our towns it is good for us to know some first aid.
    Could be an auto accident or older client having problems or an employee
    had an accident.Check with the local Red Cross for scheduled first aid training.