Beware of Dog!!! OUCHHH!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bntt68, May 20, 2007.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

Had my first encounter with a dog thurs. I am in the process of treating a customers lawn. When I get finished with the front I proceed to the gate with 4' chain link fence surrounding the backyard. Open the gate and proceed to do my perimeter lap, then square up to do my first pass with my back against the fence and WHAM! I am yanked backwards a little. Then I turn too see a huge Lab staring me eye to eye with his paws on top of the fence. Then the pain starts to set in. WOW! The owner that I am treating for sees I am in pain. He comes out and asks me what is wrong? I ask him if he could take a look at my back, just under my left shoulderblade I am bleeding pretty good. I hand him my safety spray bottle of water I carry for safety on my z-spray to wash it off . I had four punctures. I was wearing a t-shirt ,sweatshirt,windjacket and a zip up sweatshirt and still penetrated. My customer is the city code enforcement officer and was not happy. He contacted the dog owner next door ,and he came right over and apoligized. Has anyone had this kind of thing happen to them??? Brent
  2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Now you can get that new truck you always wanted :)
  3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

It sucks:cry: . To me it's part of the job.I would not consider suing if I was on the dogs property unless the owner incited it or I was badly mauled. I've since learned to not give the dog my back ever. Always face them and if need be a good punch or slap. If you hold your ground appear large, loud and hostile the dog will stop. Hope you feel better.
  4. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

First time I have heard of a lab biting someone.
  5. NY911Bowhunter

NY911Bowhunter LawnSite Member

Were you duck walking?
  6. bntt68

This was the neighbors dog. Not the one I was treating. I never seen the dog before that. The dogs owner is worried about his 2 month old Baby boy now.
  7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

So what are you going to do? As Far as Legal?
  8. Turfinator1

Turfinator1 LawnSite Member

I know a kid that was badly bitten on his hands by a lab. He was sent to the hospital and had gotten many stiches. He aslo got $80,000 from the owner of the dog's home owners insurance without sueing. It was a the settlement.
  9. mountianview

mountianview LawnSite Member

german shepard I gave to a lady friend ,was left in a car with open window.bite a lady who got 100,000 ? 10,000 ? from her homeowners insurance.Ive got bitten for alot less , like nothing .just raise your prices 50 %.
  10. bntt68

Hes actually a friend of mine. The dog was up to date on shots.