1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

beware of new law!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Frontier-Lawn, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i saw this on TV last nite about a new check law. so if any of you that float checks for supplies, or equip. it could take as Little as 2 hours for the check to clear now, instead of a few days. :dizzy: check 21 law

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think the new law starts on Oct. 28.

Before, banks had to physically transport checks to the appropriate banks to clear them, now they can send them electronically. So you could write a check, and the recipient could go cash it right away, and if the money's not in your account, it will bounce.

3. Frontier-Lawn

ya they said that now because of this law. 7 billion more checks a year could bounce

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If someone is floating checks in their business then they are working from a house of cards that will tumble down around them and their business.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I completely disagree.

There's times when I'll float a check for any number of reasons.

Well, wait, I take that back.

I'll send a check in the mail, knowing that the 3 days it gets to whoever, I'll have a check back to cover it.

As for going to the dealer, I just tell them I'll catch them next time if I'm a little tight on the cash flow.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Lets Look at the positives, Your Customers checks will clear faster.
    John

7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I'll be sure and hold your unit safely here in the shop until you can catch us next time.

8. Frontier-Lawn

you have to agree this is a good thing to know about also

9. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

all i know is with commerce bank checks clear same or next business day. while my other banks take a few days. so if check clearing is an issue join there bank

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If your customer banks at Commerce, then their check will clear faster, because Commerce doesn't have to send the check out anywhere. If the check is from another bank, Commerce sends it to the other bank to clear. That's the gist of it anyway. I'll have to ask the girl at the bank to explain it more thoroughly to me. Point is, when the new law takes effect, it won't matter which bank a check comes from, they can all transmit the checks electronically, which will make 'em clear much faster.

You should be able to open an overdraft line of credit, or open a business savings account that the bank can draw from if there's no money in your checking account. :angry:

No reason for the angry face, my 6-year old wanted to click on it...LOL