Beware the New Kai Series Twin Kaw's...They are Evil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Last Year Kaw Changed the Air Filter Arrangement on their Highly Successful FH series Twins from Vertical to Horizontal..The New Units w/the Horizontal AF were Re badged KAI series and a New Worse Generation of Kaw Twins was Born.

The Reason for the Switch is Likely that the Riff Raff was having Problems Assembling the Verticals after Maint. and Demanded Something Simpler so We Got the "Improved" KAI series...

Every Single Day the "Improved" KAI series filters must be serviced...They Get Dirty faster than You can say "KAI series Air Filters Suck"....Take out the filter after 1 Day and the pre filter is coated and then Tap the Filter and a Dust Storm eXplodes....

the Old FH Vertical Filters could Go a Week and Still be Cleaner than a KAI after 1 Day...

Beware of "New and Improved" Stuff.

First pic...Good Air Filter Arrangement.

Second pic...Bad Air Filter Arrangement.

FH.JPG

KAI.JPG

2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

well...I am like you ....i have one of each. But it seems to be doing ok for me right now... Do you oil your pre filter on the new KAI series? I have not yet but I think it may help to oil it.

3. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

Kaw says Neither Should be Oiled...I Believe that has Something to do w/the Enviro Nuts & use a Touch of Oil Just For Spite.

4. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

There were problems with the other filter. My 19hp "KAI" on my 42" Scag Z Cat is doing fine. I clean it as directed.

hillndale :waving:

5. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

The Problem w/the Old Filters was that the Riff Raff Couldn't put them back together after Servicing....

Try Tapping the KAI series Paper Element on a Hard Surface after a Couple Days and See the Dust Storm.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I've tried to tell people the standard Kawasaki air filtration SUCKS!!!

The 675cc engines have had the "KAI syndrome" since the begining.
    They have a filter like so (___) looking down on top of it and a foam pre-filter wrap.

It's a dang trash collector. But this has ZERO to do with the actual element setup itself.
    I have an old briggs with the same arrangement and it does fine.
    It only requires daily cleaning during dry leaf mulching.

The problem with Kawasaki is the draw filthy intake air into the airbox.
    So it's canister air filtration or suffer.

But of course Kawasaki is not about to change this as it sells more expensive parts.
    Plus the engine life is shortened.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I am not familiar with either filter arrangement in question. However, I do ask about your standard in assessing "good" and "bad." From what little has been said here, I would think the one catching the most dirt would be the "good" one, but apparently you believe otherwise. Isn't the only reason for an air filter to catch as much dirt as possible before the air enters the engine?

8. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

Envy Pretty Much Nailed it...the New KAI series engines are Not Going to Last as Long as the old FH units and its Because of the "Improved" air Filter...

You also Have to Watch Out for the Enginaire Pre filters Sold for the Kohler's but that's a Story for Another Day.

9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have been real disappointed with the filter on my KAI also. Kawasaki does have a canister air filter system for the 13-17 hp engines. I called them and got the part number for the FH541V KAI. 99999-7052 for the kit. My local dealer says he can get me one for the low price of 265 plus tax. I'm working on fain up an intake tube for the KAI carb. I plan on using either the new OptiAir 400 from Fleet Guard or the VLR from enginaire.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well Roger, it's not the filter catching the dirt that is really the problem. It's that these Kawi's suck filthy air into the airbox. Therefore the filters get clogged and covered too quickly.

The same filter arranngement I have on the briggs unit does just as good of a job of filtering.... it's just filtering cleaner air to begin with.

This is not an engine location problem either because I have had an identical mower without a Kawi that had no such problems. The Kawi airbox is like a trash vaccuum....