Beyond paver cost, what else?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PlatinumLandCon, Oct 4, 2007.

1. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a call for someone that wants a 24x11 patio installed in his backyard in basic 4"x8" rectangle pavers. My cost for Unilock Hollandstone is $1.54 delivered. I was thinking I can get away with charging $6.50/ft installed. Does this seem reasonable? What are your costs for everything else for a paver install (base, sand, geo-fabric, edge, etc)?

I'm looking to compromise on this price because it'll be the last job of the season (wants it installed after Oct 22) and I'm just trying to scrape cash together to get a decent truck in November.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

1,188 pavers....say 2,000 = $3,080

264 SF X $6.50 = $1,716

You're paying the customer?

Just by a very simple, lowball standard......I never see less then $8 per SF.......usually starting around $10 per SF but there is NO standard per SF pricing. Every job is different.

3. PlatinumLandCon

LOL no no no. Its $1.54 per square foot.

I really don't wnat to be made out as a lowballer, but I really want the job. $2000 profit is not as good as $3000 but its better than not getting the job at this point.

4. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you!!! I'm tired of people saying they have to charge by the sq foot.

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Then what is your question? You are basically saying what every lowballer says to try and justify your pricing. "Making a little is better than making nothing"..........................well, in the real world you will find that your time is worth something and giving your time away is very costly.

chris

6. PlatinumLandCon

Well I don't have to I was just putting costs into perspective to make it easier to imagine.

7. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

muscleCarBoy,
    Am I correct in saying you basically have little to no over head, or am I thinking of someone else? I'm gona get riped for saying this, but our daily rate for 3 men is $900-1000, if you think you can do that little patio efficiently go for it, if thats what it takes to get you started with your first truck! Ive worked for free before just to get experience, but that was when I first started. Do a really nice job, add it to your portfolio, go buy a damn truck if thats what it takes.

8. PlatinumLandCon

Seriously, thats what I'm thinking! I know it pains you guys that are in the biz to see a lowballer but I'm just trying to get started and get some experience. This will be the only job I lowball just because it could be crutial as far as getting my future rolling.

9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So jsut over $400 in pavers.....+ other material, gas, rentals etc........lets just say $1,000 in costs.

How are you digging it out?

How are you moving material? Up/down hill?

Just for the heck of it......$2500

10. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

It does F up the industry for the rest of us, but its a cut throat industry to begin with. I just put out a bid on a small wall and walk for 18K and I know some moron will come in at 6K. I couldn't do what you want price wise, I have multiple trucks, equipment, insurance, not to mention a baby and a house. Read as much as you can on the site so when you do this type of installation, you do it correctly. Don't keep this attitude on pricing, some customers will take advantage of you, or not even take you seriously. And you will lose money eventually.