1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

BFGoodrich All Terrain

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Nov 5, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

How ya'll like them? Chevy needs some new shoes.

-Off road on job sites

I'm looking at three sizes:

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of truck? I wouldn't do anything more than one size over stock if any. Everyone loves the looks of the larger tires, but it leterally robs the truck of its pulling capacities. I am sure there will be ten guys that have the big tires that disagree, but they just don't want to admit the otherway or they just have not tried the other way. I had a 2500HD with the little tiny donuts on them and pulled an 11klb trailer and later traded those tires out for 265/75/16's and i could really tell a difference in where the truck shifted and how often it had to downshift. it would still pull the weight, but just not as good.

As far as the quality of those bf A/T's. i wouldn't trade them for the world. My last set was on my 1500 and i got right at 60k on them. My new set is for my 2500, so they were load range E's which ride a little rougher, but you can't beat the handling and traction. put it this way. My 3500 with street tires got stuck pulling my trailer out of a slipery spot, so i had to hook up the 2500 with the bf's to pull both of them out at the same time. The bf's in the same situation would not have gotten stuck.

long story short...I love bf a/t's. and if you check some of the reviews on places like www.tirerack.com, you will find that a lot of people like them too.
  3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

love mine for sure. nothing bad to say at all
  4. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent tires, had them on my s10 for years. My Neighbor just put them on his 06 Extended cab, 2500hd classic (different style but basically just the older style of your truck) he put some BEEFY 295s on the stock rims. You would think it would look obnoxious but wow, its a mean look. That being said he cant really tow anything because of the width and weight restrictions but you shouldn't have any problems with the sizes you listed. From my experiences they were great both off road, and in the snow, tread life is VERY impressive too.
  5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I will most likely be going with a 265.

Truck is my '02 Chevy
    -Ext cab
    -Long bed
  6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i like everything about them EXCEPT, the way that they hold little peebles and such til about 30-40 mph then slings them on your truck! hated that about them!
  7. flxinxj

flxinxj LawnSite Member

BFG makes a really good tire. they have a good wear life. I wouldnt go any bigger than a 265 they will last longer. very good trackshion for the money.I have nitto ats on my 2500 in a 295 and they are not wearing to good but my budy has them in a 265 on his 1500 and they wear great.
  8. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

U can upgrade to a bigger tire, but if u go over a couple sizes, make sure u upgrade to a lower gear ratio in the rear end. I have BFG a/t and they are amazing in the dirt and rain. I just dont like how long they have lasted. 15k and they are basically bald
  9. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Y'all think going to 285s would really make a big difference? It's less than a 4% change in circumference, basically from a 31.65" diameter to a 32.83"... I'm looking at going up just one size (from 265s to 285s) but I have wondered about the effects on hauling and especially braking.

I've got BFG right now but am looking at Toyos. I dunno about the BFG being any kind of mud tire but they work fine on asphalt and dry dirt. Only time I went in a slightly wet situation, I had to go 4x4 to get out. Not impressed but not really disappointed.
  10. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I got em in 35's on my tahoe and I love them. They seem to be wearing pretty well and ride good as well.