bg 85 stihl... should i get one

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Apr 1, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i was thinking about getting a hand held for this year.
    i was also thinking i will buy a big back pack in the fall, possibly the 8000.

the thing i'm worried about is that once i get the 8000 i would never use the hand held because the lack of power. on the other hand the hand held would be nice and light.

i really don't know what i'm asking just throwing around some ideas.

any of you solo guys like the option of having a light hand held or do you always grab the big boy blower?
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think at times a handheld blower is good, If I have a small sidewalk that is 30 feet long I can grab the handheld and be done before I can get the back pack off the rack and crank it and put it on my back. Also in the fall, sometimes the smaller handheld is great for working leaves from behind shrubs that are very close to the house and then use the back pack after you have the leaves out in the open. I am a solo operator and have both blowers and both have there place on the trailer in my opinion
  3. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Stihl 85 blower. Its a lot more powerful than you think it is, although not as powerful as a backpack.

I have both handhelds and backpacks. People always say Im crazy, but I perfer my handhelds in almost every instance.
    I have an Echo backpack 403 that I use for leaf cleanups, and in housing plans where I have several houses in a row or on the same street. For every other instance I find my handhelds to be a more logical choice. Less power, but they also take less space, and take less time to just grab it and go, for quick sidewalk blowoffs.

I think its a good idea to have both. Both serve their purpose.
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have both and 90% of the time I grab the hand held stihl, not because I like it better, it serves the purpose on most of my residentual accounts. I use my BP for large cleanups and one account that has nothing but oak leaves year round. I really wished I had not bought the BP because it just was not feasible for the accounts I have. Just my .02. If you are going to be doing big jobs I would recommend the BP. It just depends on your needs.
  5. USM Lawns

USM Lawns LawnSite Member

The BG 85 is an excellent hand held blower with very good power!