BG85 or SH85?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dashunde, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I have a BG85... that I'd like to convert over to a SH85.
    Stihl says the BG has a different housing inside (rubber coated I think) and that it cannot be a "shredder" but instead just a vacume. The only difference being that the SH uses a shredder blade in the center of the impeller.

Has anyone converted their BG over to a SH and used the shredder blade?

I'm thinking that I might get the conversion kit with the blade and simply rubberize the inards of my BG's housing.
  2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

If your BG85 is running and blowin' good, I would leave it as is. You have the best/most cfm handheld on the market. If you want to shred/vacuum, go a different route - just my opinion...........:usflag:
  3. Dashunde

Yea.. I know, its a great blower, but... I've got a BR600 on the way.
    So I'd like to turn my BG into a SH for clean-up seasons, and to pick up hedge trimmings, etc.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have a BG85 that is a shredder. I didn't know there was a new model that was shread specific... Let's just say it's worthless! I can pick up leaves with my hands faster then I can suck them up with the thing and then empty the bag. Not to mention every rock and piece of mulch it sucks up and *crash squeel bang* tearing the hell out of my blower! forget that... Great and powerful handheld BLOWER, but not a vac...
  5. Dashunde

For years my Dad has had an old Craftsman sucker/blower type thing... with the vac in place I have found it very useful for sucking up bits out of the flower/mulch beds, and it does so without messing things up like a blower does. It'll even ingest a clump of mulch here an there without much complaint.
    By comparison, the Craftsman cant touch the Stihl in terms of power, so I figure that the Stihl will certainly be better.

So long as the BG will suck up the usual stuff blown into a corner I'll be happy with it... I'm not going to be trying to suck up a 3 yard pile of wet leaves.
    It'll be used to get leaves from corners and basement window wells, hedge trimmings, all of the normal junk that is better off sucked up from its original spot instead of blown all over.
  6. lawnboyblake

lawnboyblake LawnSite Member

Yup, I hear ya on that one. I bought a brand new SH85 about a month ago and just got the vacume thing for some cleanups. COMPLETELY WORTHLESS!!!!!! It will actually suck up leaves but don't even think about sucking up a piece of mulch!!!! It gets jammed in the fan and wont turn, then you have to pull it all apart to get it out. I tore the hell out of my fan from it running with a piece jammed in there. If I had to do it again, I wouldnt buy the vacume part. :waving:
  7. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We bought a SH 85 in the hopes that it would speed up the flower bed cleanups. Have a ton of Stihl equipment, but let me tell you, this was our worst purchase ever. Each and every one of our gum balls gets caught between the fan wheel and the housing... the little shredder knife is just about totally useless. The unit vibrates a ton as it has no AVS and the bag is just way to airtight after a couple of uses. And yes, we can collect leaves faster by hand.

Stihl should be ashamed of marketing this unit to professionals.

8. Dashunde

Damn... maybe I'll just fix the recoil on the old Craftsman. That thing will suck up mulch all day long.

Ok... So what is a good shoulder vac??
    (ah, nevermind, new thread started on this one..)