BG85C Review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigbone, Jul 28, 2007.

1. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

Well I have been using the BG85C for a couple weeks and here is my review.

Pros:
    Good blowing power, even with wet grass.
    lightweight
    cruise control is nice
    large mouth for the gas tank

Cons:
    Sometimes a PITA to start, up to 10 pulls sometimes
    gas hog

Overall I would recommend it.

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

You get that at Fairview Service I take it? Good people, just def. a very old school operation. I have had my BG85C for a year and have pretty much the same thoughts on it. It DOES NOT like to start when it is hot out, that's for sure.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have had two BG85Cs, and would recommend the gear to anybody needing a hand blower. But, I'm puzzled about the starting issue. Mine starts better than any other 2 cycle hand held, including three other Stihl pieces. I always place it firmly down, ground, trailer, or whatever -- never try to drop start, unless it is hot, with my right hand. Put choke lever to full choke. Pull firmly on the cord, and IMMEDIATELY move the choke to "OFF" position. The choke change must be immediate. I have learned to focus my eyes on the lever, so that after the rope pull, I can get back to move the choke, I get my fingers on the choke lever right away. The BG85 is unlike my other Stihl handheld equipment, which will start and stay running with the choke closed. The BG85 will not start, and keep running with the choke closed.

At this point, rarely does it NOT start on the first pull. When hot, I can bet the mortgage it WILL start on first pull.

I am running 80:1 OPTI-2 fuel mix.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have the BG85 and I am now wondering why its so hard to start? I wonder if Stihl has a remedy?

5. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 of them and they are a pain to start sometimes.

6. cgaengineer

Its like the diaphragm in the carb is worn and it will not pump fuel or the fuel tank is leaking.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I am very surprised by the responses here regarding difficulty in starting. My blowers have always been the easiest to start of any handheld equipment.

What am I doing differently?

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I've got the SH85C which is the same thing but it has the capability to be a shred-n-vac(which is worthless).

My experience is exactly the same, the hard-starting is almost always when it's hot. First start of the day no problems though.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

mine is a pain to start too. love it otherwise

10. cgaengineer

Mine is not hard to start when hot...only the first time when cold.