1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

BG85C Review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigbone, Jul 28, 2007.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you have the STIHL SH85 or the vac attachment for the BG85. Is it of any use for light cleanup (e.g. leaves in flower beds, hedge clippings etc.) or is it a complete waste. Many of the Stihl dealers, here in Ontario, have a big sale on the BG85 and SH85 units. This leads me to think that they are trying to get rid of them and that perhaps, Stihl, is coming out with a 4 mix version of their handheld blower.

Can anyone compare the BG85 to the Echo version of it, the PB230LN?
  2. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

I have a BG85 and I love it. I have used the leaf vac attachment before and its not entirely worthless, just close to it. :)
  3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

It's virtually useless for cleanups. I have used mine to suck up some leaves, mainly out of window wells, and that's it. The other thing I'll use it for is after edging, to suck up the grass and dirt resulting from the edging. There just isn't much suction power.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

With all Stihl equippment, the main key to easy starts is simply following the starting instructions in the manual to the letter.

If that doesn't work for you, consider the plug, plug gap and the mix.
    If it's not those things, return it for adjustment so the starting proceedure will work.
  5. chewy78

chewy78 LawnSite Member

Mine starts up just fine when its cold outside. When i first got it, I took the limiter caps off so I could tune it properly as I broke it in. It always hot starts easy for me too.