bi-weekly bed maintenance

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by dnc19694339, Feb 3, 2013.

1. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

I am working on my renewal letters for this year and I am thinking about offering bed maintenance (weed pulling) this year. I am giving them a few options like below-

Bi-Weekly- performed when we are there mowing lawn

$10 for 12 minutes of weeding
    $15 for 18 minutes of weeding
    $20 for 24 minutes of weeding

If this time is not enough to do an adequate job we will contact to discuss.

What do you guys think about this? It ends up being $50/hr for weeding. I have customer that already have us do this, I am just trying to streamline it and pick up more work.

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Looks good to me, I can only get $40 an hour for weeding before being laughed at

3. kandalawncaremgr

kandalawncaremgr LawnSite Member

Just a question. How do you present that. If someone told me that you get twenty minutes of weeding I would laugh my ass off. Sorry but just sounds crazy. Why wouldn't you just give an hourly estimate. Cuase what if you have a bed that's 100 ft long. And they say give me ten minutes and you get half way done. Idk maybe it will work in your area. And I don't mean to be a jerk but sounds crazy. I would just give a flat estimate. Sounds confusing

4. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i still got lots to learn i admit, but sharing any info about my hourly rate to the customer is one thing i won't do. i give my price based on the time i think it will take. if i put myself in the customers shoes and somebody told me they were going to pull my weeds by the hour, i'd assume they would take there time.. and i'd probally laugh them off my porch. sorry.. :)

5. dnc19694339

I also have more verbiage that tells them if the weeding required is more than what they have signed up for then I will call them to discuss. This is just them giving me authorization to perform the service for that price. If we stay on top of it every other week the weeds should not get too out of hand.

Most customers dont want to leave it open ended as in $40 per hour. They are worried you will spend hours there.

I do appreciate the input, thats why Im putting it up here.

6. My question is why are you pulling weeds when you can spray gly and use pre emergents?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Good question. Also, if someone wants an hourly price, they want unskilled labor. Use of mulches and the right herbicides negates the need for biweekly labor.

8. kandalawncaremgr

Ok I'm new to the Lawncare business also. So you mentioned about applications you can use. What would you use before you apply mulch and what would you spray for weeds after so your not pulling them, but at the same time killing all the things they have planted in there? Also the stuff you are going to recommend if your nice to share do I need a license to buy and apply

9. kandalawncaremgr

I meant to say without killing the plants and stuff they have planted

10. dnc19694339

Whats gly?

Your right I could use a pre-emergent. Like Preen?

My lawn crew members are not licensed applicators and we are only on the lawn to spray every 5 weeks or so.