Bi-Weekly Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kgrebs, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Kgrebs

Kgrebs LawnSite Member

I got asked today for a quote on bi-weekly mowing and am at some what of a cross road. Do I charge more for the bi-week seeing I am cutting more grass in an effort to try and sell the every week? Is anyone out there doing these bi weekly?
  2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yes, just and upsell to weekly. Yes, charge more because it is more work, more grass, more wear and tear on equipment, generally more clean up, and if you have employees it cost you more in that regards because it may take a little longer if the grass is long. Sometimes you will have to double cut. I have some bi-weeklies, but I try to stay away from them.
  3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I would do it and go over it just twice. Charge them an extra 15- 50 percent more. Let them know it wont look really pretty.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

People that want it bi-weekly are cheap and they aren't going to pay more...usually. With all the big equipment we have these days it don't make much different in mow time. We get a lot of bi-weekly because most part time guys won't take the business.
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We do not perform bi-weekly, or on a per cut basis mowing.Start trying to sell your customers on yearly contracts.
  6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I don't do them. But if I was approached it would be 1.5 times the normal price of one cut. If is it a big one I might even try to get 2 times the normal cut. I just don't want to do them because if the potential client doesn't care what the lawn looks like it reflects back on to me as doing a crappy job. No thanks, someone else can do them.
  7. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

That is 100% right on. I tell them it will be more because of all the above, AND it is harder on YOU and your crew. It also is one more spot that a full time yard should have gotten but now can't because that time slot is taken.
    I have moved away from them over the years, unless it is next to another one that we do.
  8. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW, big time issues with the server today!! Took me a while to sqeeze that one through. Good thing it is being upgraded.
  9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

That is my position on it, too.

During my first years of mowing grass, I had people who would call me when they wanted it done and that meant every 10 days or bi-weekly. They were cheap and know that I am a real business and not just a middle school kid mowing lawns, I refuse any bi-weekly accounts or any customer that calls me when they want their grass cut. Bi-weekly accounts are just a pain and nothing I want to deal with.
  10. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have got a little different view on the biweekly accounts. I see them as a goldmine. Keep in mind that I am not running a full service business - strictly mowing.

My base price for service is $30 for weekly service. For biweekly service it is $37.

Now, let's say that my expenses including employees is $15 per lawn. That leaves us with $15 for profit on the weekly lawn but it gives us $22 profit on the biweekly lawn. Employee expenses are fixed - they get $X per lawn and drive time is the same. The only difference is that there is a little more gas used and a little more wear on the equipment during the heavy growth periods. But not $7 worth.

The downside is that you have to find twice as many customers in order to fill your schedule.

My favorite customers are the ones that have the crappiest lawns on biweekly service. We don't double cut (usually).

Lower quality and higher price - that's the way to do it.