Bi-weekly mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jwilson32, Apr 10, 2003.

1. jwilson32

jwilson32 LawnSite Member

I few of my costumers are wanting me to start mowing biweekly. They said its getting to costly every week. The funning thing is i dont think money is a prop for these people. I explained the benefits of mowing weekly not to mention it looks much better. And i also fert there yard! For a $25 weekly yard what should i charge to mow it bi-weekly? And what else can i tell them to try and let me mow it weekly? I tell them it helps with weed control.
    i appreciate any help

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

jwilson- Charge a higher price for bi-weekly service. You have to make up for the extra time you spend to cut 2 weeks worth of growth. Especially if you are fertilizing their lawn! If it is a $25 cut, charge them $40 for bi-weekly service. Even that is being nice. I have learned to steer away from people who request bi-weekly as they are usually cheap. You will find that the reason some wealthy people have money is because they KNOW HOW TO HOLD ON TO IT! Good luck, Mike

3. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

i don't offer bi-weekly mowing, if the customer is next to existing accounts, i would think about it 40-50 is a good price. bi-weekly=pain in the butt.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Part of it is the market you're targeting. In upper scale neighborhoods, at least im my experience, we get very little of this. It's typically people who are broke and trying to save money.

Regardless, whenever I get this question, here is how I reply, "I am sorry, we only offer a weekly service. And there are some very good reasons for weekly service. There are a lot of people who want, or even EXPECT us to be there every week. And we've just made a decision that we want to cater to that market or those kinds of clients. If you find you're not in that category, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. And I can refer you to a few companies who just do the mow,blow and go thing and they'll probably do it every few weeks if you'd like. But we just have chosen not to operate that way for a number of reasons."

Then I just remain silent and wait for them to digest what I said and respond. When you put it that way, it makes people think. And I've gotten several new clients this way. It makes your service sound more valuable, exclusive, and more of a luxury. And that's the way I want people to think of our service.

Now this may not apply to you or others who are reading this. We can afford to brush off a certain number of calls. We can afford to be choosy. We've got plenty of accounts and frankly, I don't want to deal with people who can't afford weekly service. YMMV.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Bi-weekly mowing of fertilized lawns??? Not a chance, not even at $40. Let Joe Blow do it...he'll be doing you a favor in the long run Jordan.

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Ditto jimlewis and rodfather.

7. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Most yards cannot be cut by weekly in my area. I decide how often to cut. If they don't like that, Well thats just to bad. I will drop them. If I try to cut and it just makes a big mess because they wan't to save money, they need to find someone who specializes in low budget lawn care.

If you have no customers, you might have to take some on tell your built up more.

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Mr. Lewis again has the right take on this.
    But let me show you what happens.

I aerated, seeded and fert a friends yard. While there his neighbor comes over and ask's about my services. After thinking about the aerating and seeding he wants me to cut his yard. After I cut it he wants the service every two weeks. Well his yard isnt bad and is small so I say ok.

Well this week (which is only the 2nd cut) he shows up and gives me a check. Tells me to wait a day for his direct deposit check from work. So I do but it bounces anyway. He must check on it daily because he called me and told me about it. BUT he makes it like it was all my fault for not waiting. So now I have to run his check through again, AND my bank charges me $6.00 on top, and you know he wont pay this amount because in his mind "It was all my fault".

So you tell me, did I make out ok? Nope and this is the last time I let it happen. Just goes to show even if you are trying to be the nice guy and help people out you still get screwed!

Only offer weekly service. This will help you stay away from most of the problem people. And yes I did say MOST! ;)

9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Charge double for biweekly mowing - then also tell them the yard will look like ****.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed with crazygator. That is exactly the kind of customer that I am trying to weed out when I say stuff I quoted above. And typically, it works. Like crazygator said, MOST of the time.

There are basically two types of clients who ask this question. 1) The kind of person who has plenty of money and manages their money well but was hoping they could save a few bucks and 2) The kind of person who can barely afford bi-weekly service, let alone weekly service.

I don't want anything to do with customer #2. But I'll try go get customer #1 to realize that weekly service is necessary and this isn't an area where he can save a few bucks. He needs to pony up the dough and go for weekly. And often, they do.