Bi-Weekly Only

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by American_Lawn, Aug 17, 2008.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

Here in my market there are alot of yards that are not really manicured and people dont want to pay for the extras that I would love to give them. I was thinking about advertising for bi-weekly mowing next season. I plan on having exceptions in place for the clients that fertalize and water on a regular basis. Is this a good idea? I could see this being a great oppourtunity to tap into the customers that dont want weekly service. The only times that I see this being a problem is in the spring months when all the rain comes. I will probably request weekly until things slow down then go bi-weekly. any suggestions

2. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not too sure how well that would work out up there in Texas, but down here in S. Louisiana - No Way! The main reason is that it puts more wear and tear on your equipment and will significantly shorten the lifespan of your engines.

Don't compromise the efficiency and performance of your machines. :nono: They are your bread and butter.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Worst idea ever.

4. American_Lawn

What would you suggest to tap into the ones that dont want weekly service? I am talking about the yards that only need cutting twice a month. I do alot like this now for banks. Yeah there are a handful that grow more than the others, but the majority are smooth sailing. I do around 150-160 every 2 weeks split up. I am just looking to drop one contract that is about 80-90 and adding biweekly customers. These are typical 8000-10000sq ft lots.

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

If this is your business model, then sure it will work. Personally, I am tired of bi-weekly clients. For me, they seem to be the one's that want something for nothing. They want your full attention, yet, they are the one's that don't want extras. But, this doesn't mean it won't work for you. It is just not fitting for what I want.

6. UrbanGreen

UrbanGreen LawnSite Member

Grits said it, this year I finally had enough and made my biweekly accounts go weekly with contract or find somebody else. If you are already dealing with that many biweekly accounts than you know what you are getting into. Sounds good if thats what ya want, theres plenty of them out there

7. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO...bi-weekly = PITA

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I do some bi-weekly. If I find that it takes longer to mow them due to the long time between cuts, I charge more. Someday, when I have too much business, I'll drop them, but for now it works.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

A bi-weekly customer in the spring, turns into once every 3 or 4 weeks in the heat of the summer. These accounts usually are the ones that have a lot of weeds, and trimming can be a bear sometimes especially when the crabgrass takes hold.
    That's not to say that no bi-weekly is a good account. But it's just hard to find decent bi-weeklys.

10. American_Lawn

I would plan on having them on a weekly schedule or something to the like during the spring. That is the only time I can see it being a huge problem with fast growth. I had one customer awhile back that I did all services for and they were bi-weekly and it was a pita. My target market would be the home owners that dont need/want everything. If they put fertilizer down and the yard is 8inches when I come back, ofcourse the price is triple, but these are the ones that just let mother nature do everything and dont want anything to do with the yard. It seems like it would be a low pressure sales pitch whit the chance of getting weekly customers and odd jobs. I am really only looking for mowing accounts only with this truck. I have another doing installs with builders and home owners. I dont want to drop and totally reconfigure my business to go to weekly cutting. I did the opposite of 90% of all companies, but I came into the biz with about 200 accounts. Or 100 weekly. One of my clients only gives me 4 days to complete the work and they send me about 135-150 cuts each time. It make for long days, but it pays good in the end. For those that doubt that is possible, all homes a vacant, 2 guys with 32wbs and one trimming. 5-6minutes make per house.