1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bi-weekly Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowHouston, Jun 30, 2008.

1. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem I'm having is deciding whether or not to keep accepting bi-weekly customers.

Basically, the problem is these people are just trying to save money. Two weeks and that St Augusting is 6-7 inches tall. Wastes my time when I could be making more.

What I've thought about doing is either eliminating bi-weekly service during the summer or charging an extra fee for long grass so that it evens out for the time I'm spending there double mowing their yard to make it look good. Perhaps this would try to pull them to a weekly schedule since the fee would even it out so that they're paying the same, or more.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ALWAYS charge more for bi-weekly...... I had a old lady want me to cut hers every 10 days to save money. I told her I can't cut every 10 days and that I could do it every 2 weeks but the cost will be close to double for bi-weekly, she said to keep cutting weekly.
  3. MowHouston

That's what I had been doing. I added $7 per cut to the cost of bi-weekly service. Do you think it should be more?
  4. MowHouston

Hey, I see you're using the 22" Toro Recycler, I've got the same one. Do you have a problem with it 1. Leaving single blades standing, and 2.Not mulching very well?

Been that way since I got it a month ago. I'm ashamed to say I just sharpened the blades for the first time, but if that doesnt fix it... I dunno, maybe different blades?
  5. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

I stopped doing bi weekly accounts last yr. But when I did do them I only gave a 15% break from my full weekly customers. Just wasnt worth the agg in my opinion
  6. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I offer bi-weekly service at the same price as weekly. The difference is, I state to them that "Bi-weekly service is harmful to the appeareance of your lawn; it creates piles of clippings that we do not remove. We do not recommend bi-weekly service during the regular growth season."

In October thru March, all my customers are bi-weekly. Year round cutting down here:cool2:
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I charge much more. If I normally charge $60 a week and they want it every 2 weeks (this being in the heavy growth season) I'll charge $40 on top of the $60 and charge $100 every 2 weeks. Now as the growth slows down more, I'll do every 2 weeks for the same price as weekly. As long as the growth isn't out of hand.

I have the same problem as you. I'm ready to turn the mower into a pile of razor blades. It should cut better. I'm going to give it one more chance and try a standard blade to see if that helps, if not, it's out of here. It might not mulch as good but the cut should be better as it will have more vacuum.
  8. MowHouston

Thats funny. I just put that same thing on my website. Not word for word, but the same sort of warning. :D
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The problem with passing on bi-weeky is that it opens the way for another business to come into the area. I don't see the difference in doing 50 biweekly or 25 weekly. If you got the proper mowers it doesn't make hardly and difference in cut time on these small yards. That is why we go the Wright sentar with rh and 17hp on a 36" unit. It will mulch it down fast. We don't charge any extra becuase they just aren' going to pay more in our area.
  10. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

If they want bi-weekly then I charge more, and tell them it won't look very good. I don't double cut, and nobody complains, if they do then they need to have it cut every week. :hammerhead: