Bi-Weekly Thoughts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I have been getting bombarded this year by people requesting bi-weekly mowing.

I do not offer this and wonder if I am missing out.

What have been your experiences with these customers?

My fear is that they are much more likely to be PITAs because the main reason they choose this is to save money.

Thoughts?

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We do not have any bi-weekly customers either.This year we have had people ask for it and I just tell them no thank you or double the price.

3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

typically a pain in the butt. They save money and you work extra hard because the lawn is overgrown. Also, avoid the "10 day clients" as they really screw up a schedule. I can see backing off the mowing in a hot summer on un-irragated lawns but otherwise unless you have a extremely slow grower or need the work.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

When we first started out, yes we took on bi-weekly accounts. But as the business has grown, we do not take them anymore. The grass gets too high, out of control, and more than likely these bi-weekly customers are the ones that will be the worst complainers wanting everything they can get for the least amount of cost to them.
    If you need the work, then you do what you have to do... but if you have other work available, I wouldn't bother with them.

5. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

i have a customer that wants to go biweekly and i really dont want to do it but since i do it to her neighbors she wants it to. I have been doing her neighbors for years like that and she finally caught on. She said she needs to save where she can i told her i understand and i raised her price. :)

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Well I have 3 every other accounts, 1 is a cemetary and the other 2 are older estate houses that people use for weekend getaways. The grass doesnt grow very fast and you cant sell them a fert. contract. It works out good for me because I do them on mondays when I really cant do other mowing. But if they had good grass and ferts there is no way i would do eow cuts, to hard on equipment and the quality look isnt there either

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

bi weekly? doesn't that mean twice a week? i think it could. anyhow, no, i would under no circumstances cut every other week.

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Bi weekly is done at 150% of a weekly price. I only have a few.

9. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I will not do bi-weekly yards. They expect you to have their lawn look as good as their neighbors who cut it every week and bag it. To me these are the pita customers that want something for nothing. Then when you tell them it will cost extra for bagging it they have tantrum and don't understand why it will cost extra.

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have a few, they are crappy weedy yards that any mower could go through with ease after a month.