1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bi-weekly trimming/edging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnnyCuts, Jan 25, 2008.

1. JohnnyCuts

JohnnyCuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Was reading a long thread titled something like "catering to the cheapskates" yesterday and someone mentioned doing bi-weekly trimming/edging as a way of matching your service to a lower price. How much time would this cut off the average 1/4 acre job? How bad do you think it would look that 2nd week? If you charged $30 for this job what would you be able to lower the rate to?
  2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

when it starts to dry up a bit you can get away with it but its better to not take the cheapskate because the neighbor's you might get from doing good work you wont get for skipping on quality
  3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

When I bid a lawn it is for mow, trim, edge and blow. I do not have another price option. I always edge no matter what. To me this is the most important part of having the lawn looking great when you leave. You would not save much time at all skipping it. I would just stick with one price including the edging. On a 1/4 acre lawn, it should only take you a couple of minutes with a stick edger. The first time might be longer, but after that, its a breeze. My advice is to never skip it.
  4. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

Some of my accounts I can trim low enough to skip a week, but I always clean the edges. The stick edger is so fast it would be silly not to do it.
  5. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Always edge and blow edge clean!! you do not want to work for a cheap person....you want your lawns to stick out not to just blend in!!
  6. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

That reminds me of the customers who want to know if I will just cut the front and give them a price break. I cant stand tightwads,one price for all of it.
  7. JohnnyCuts

from iowa

Lets say a longtime customer recieves a hanger on their door advertising a price lower than yours and "with the recession coming" wants to know if you'll match or lower your price. You've always scheduled a 30 week season and weekly mowing only. Would lowering your price $2-3 per cut and going bi-weekly for the first and last month and bi-weekly trim/edge for the whole season be a good way to lower your service level to a lower price and still keep the same profit margin?
  8. JohnnyCuts

from iowa

Anyone want to comment on this. Don't know if a recession is coming or not, but its all I hear about anymore. If people are going to become value shoppers and look for lower prices I want to prepare a gameplan to combat it.
  9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Dont do bi-week cuts. It will just cost you more in the long run.
  10. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

By weekly cuts are fine. you just tell them, is better for noise pollution, but your price is the same by weekly or monthly. they wont bother you again!:drinkup: