Bi weeklys and their worth.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kelly's Landscaping, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

100/month is a hell of a lot more affordable than 200/month.

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly the way I look at it. Turning down bi-weeklies because you are fully booked is one thing, doing so just because you think they are beneath your dignity to service, is not smart from a business standpoint.

3. bel-nor

bel-nor LawnSite Member

I must say the 2012 season was my best year yet. This amist the worst drought in the midwest history. I aquired several aditional customers and had to have a helper this year. my customers are mostly bi weekly and 10 day which I have seen are not lookeed upon highly here. During the spring the 10 day accounts needed service every 7 days and bi weeklys were serviced every 10 days. Adjustments were made and still getting random calls for cleanups and one timers, rentals and out of towners. The drought hit and the service was adjusted as needed, as not to burn out a single lawn. The drought showed me and my helper exactly what can happen to the die hard weekly servicers who overcut during the heat wave. Then some servicers were not servicing during the 100+ weeks. I only have a few customers with sprinkler systems and their grass did a little better than most, however weekly servicing would have been disasterous.

We have come a long ways from the real 3.5hp pushers of the 1960s (olde to cutman) to today. The reality is as anyones accounts change you have to change with them. This under appreciated non regulated industry puts money in your pocket and helps your family. I like the work and I enjoy at 55years old watching a young man try to keep up with me.

Happy New Year and I hope we get another early starting season

4. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I've done quite well with bi-weekly's because I price them right. Jack up the prices, and it becomes worth it!

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The way it works best is get the customer to disclose first they are looking for EOW. People get it their heads that EOW is automatically half the weekly rate. I get 75% my monthly rate for twice a month cutting this way. Per cut guys are going to have a harder time getting a higher rate.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't taken on a bi-weekly account in 16 years. Once I got to the point where I had enough accounts to keep me and a helper busy all week long, and enough money to pay my bills, everything started to change. I figured every account from that point on was just bonus. So from that point, I only took on accounts that I WANTED to have. And I didn't want bi-weekly accounts, when it was fairly simple to get weekly accounts. From that point until today we have never taken on a bi-weekly account. And we continue to grow at a fairly rapid pace every year.

7. DaveyBlue32

DaveyBlue32 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

8. DaveyBlue32

DaveyBlue32 LawnSite Member

My biweekly's buy landscape work, mulch, pruning, tree work, Ect. And they're on the way to the next job, or down the street, ie it cost me less, my sign is parked / stopped infront of more houses on that block... I diamond cut the front of there's too...there neighbor's see the strips and the 3 new weekly's paying me top dollar for that cut makes it work out...its my block...world domination by straight stripes!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

biweekly residential are worthless to me, unless they are very large properties and pay.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand why anyone would want a bi-weekly account when you could just as easily fill that spot in your day with someone who's willing to pay you for weekly service. It's like settling for a part time job when you could just as easily keep looking for a few more days and end up with a full time job. Why would you settle?