bias ply or radial tires on tandem trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LWNMWR1, Mar 27, 2003.

1. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

i have 16 fttandem trailer. came with bias ply but i really eat them up, change at least 2 a season. will a radial last longer? safety issues, what is the general consensus?
  2. Something wrong with your trailer.

Tires should last about the same.

I think what I get is bias ply HD trailer tires.

I don't wear them out brfore they get to many holes in them.
  3. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

So bias is better for tandem because of sidewall strength and torquing of the tire that tandems undergo?
  4. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish someone would help clear this up. I have been waiting for a good reply. Maybe I should just research it and post one myself?
  5. lawncuttinfoo

please do, I have tried but have not had much help from the mimimum wage employees of discount tire. meanwhile my tires have 2 mm of tread left.
  6. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

well i do know that bias have stronger sidewalls, but do not wear as long as a radial tire. I know because on my tandem enclosed I wore the back set of tires out in 2 years. I'm gonna go for a set of Goodyear marathons that are radial. Hope this clears stuff up.
  8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

A bias ply will deform as the pressure goes up or down. Low pressure..the center line does not contact the road. High pressure..only the centerline contacts the road. A radial's treads will (in theory) remain in contact as the pressure drops. The sidewall can deform without the contact area deforming. Radial's always lasted longer on my double axel, but the back two will always go quicker.
  9. lawncuttinfoo

One comment on that link says: You're neglecting a very important design fact when comparing radial and bias tires and rims: How the load is transferred through the tire to the rim. Radials transfer the load (vehicle + payload) to the bead of the rim and bias transfers the load upwards through the center of the rim, ie, bias rims are thinner at the bead area than radial rims. I was there when we made the transition to radials in the 1970s and I can't tell you how many bias rims I personally have seen 'peeled' at the bead when a radial tire was (wrongly) mounted. I won't mount a radial on a bias designed rim, but then I have many years of personal (in a professional setting) experience to rely on. Safety first.

That is something new to me, funny they guy at discount tire did not ask if I had bias rims? Sounds dangerous switching tire only.