Biatch of a repair

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Feb 2, 2007.

  1. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,496

    Some pics of a repair we did yesterday. Turned the backflow off several days ago to allow area to dry up but when we started digging up by the valve (where the water was surfacing) there was no leak evidence. Had to turn the backflow on to follow the leak and found it 8' upstream at the tee. All but 1/4" of the pipe had pushed out of the tee. Investigated downstream by the valve and found that the pipe in the bell joint and at the valve tee also had not been pushed in all the way during the original install so we replaced everything past it.

    The soil is highly alkali here and turns to mush when water mixes with it. Backfilled with sand and we'll haul the other stuff away today.

    Goshen Soccer Field Mainline Break 2-1-07 IV-01.jpg

    Goshen Soccer Field Mainline Break 2-1-07 IV-02.jpg

    Goshen Soccer Field Mainline Break 2-1-07 IV-03.jpg

    Goshen Soccer Field Mainline Break 2-1-07 IV-04.jpg
  2. Remote Pigtails

    Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 581

    I'm glad I don't get in above 2" and you just reminded me why. I remember one lesson from and old timer back in 1979 and he said the seal does not occur against the wall but rather where the pipe meets the back of the fitting. It has stuck with me ever since. The problem with a bad glue joint is you feel compelled to cut out everything around it because you figure the same cast of characters glued those as well.
  3. NC_Irrigator

    NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC
    Posts: 1,416

    thats easy diggin soil!!

    what brand valve is that. toro 220? plastic
  4. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 47,711

    Probably a Hydro-Rain/Hardie/Irritrol Century series.
  5. DarkLotus

    DarkLotus LawnSite Member
    from Florida
    Posts: 82

    Looks like an Irritrol 100P series. And WOW, that does look like some of the easiest digging I've ever seen! Never had the pleasure to come across that yet... :\
  6. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,496

    The soil was very easy digging... especially with the Bobcat backhoe. :)

    Problem occurs when water gets to it. The soil then turns into a slop resembling pig crap. :cry:

    It's a 2" Irritrol Century Plus valve hooked up via angle configuration.
  7. cush

    cush LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 352

    Just be glad it wasn't 6 foot deep!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,496

    We would then have to adhere to OSHA trenching standards and shore the thing while we're working in it. Five feet and below requires trench shoring or "engineering" (sloping of the walls at a gradient depending on soil structure). :)

    However, the thought did cross our minds that we could have probably buried a casket quite easily. Spooky thought. :angel:

    As soon as the muck was cleared from the hole we immediately backfilled the lower portions with the sand which gave us a very nice platform from which to perform the repairs without getting all muddy. We've decided that the district is going to buy a lot of sand in the future and we'll have it on site before/while the hole is dug so we can immediately do this. :laugh:
  9. mikecaldwell1204

    mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 185

    must be nice to have a bobcat backhoe..down here in fl all we have is shovels
  10. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,496

    It's a Godsend when working on large mainline repairs. Don't know how we managed before it.

Share This Page