1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bid Due Soon

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by paul, Oct 30, 2000.

1. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We are bidding a streetscape and want to throw out some of the # that we have to bid on. I want to see what others would bid on these Items.

Unit Retaining wall 370 Face Ft.

33 3" Shade Trees
    5 6' ornamentals
    2 8'-10' evergreens
    700 24"-4' shrubs
    200 24"-30" evergreens
    3000 1 gallon perennials
    1000 bulbs
    450 tons stone out croping
    10 ton flagstone walk
    175 cu yds mulch
    150 cu yds planting mix
    9725 sq ft pavers (pedestrain)
    5740 sq ft pavers (vehicular)
    1000 sq yds seeding

Let me know what you think of doing this work for.
    It's a village streetscape project
    public bid
  2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

wouldn't know where to start. I would be able to retire for the year if I got that job......

Need any help, sounds like fun.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a few questions for clarification, if you please.
    What type of base do you have to install for the pavers and the flagstone? What is the square footage of the flagstone walk? Are the shrubs commonplace varieties or premium-priced lovelies? What type of prep will you have to do for the seeding? Does the site require much prep-work or demolition prior to installing?
  4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Boy, at first I whipped out my calculator to start crunching a few numbers, then I remembered the bid game Paul and I played awhile back on a simple mulching job. The quantities you're dealing with are so different from mine that even if I were to crunch numbers, they would likely be meaningless, because I don't know the kind of prices I can get when planting 3000 perennials, or 700 shrubs, and on and on. I'd would likely either grossly overestimate the price using some derivative of the formulas I use for my small residential stuff, or I'd overestimate the savings achieved by doing volume work and come up with a price that you'd lose your shirt at.

So, you're on your own for that one. But good luck! Sounds like a great project.

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

That spec sheet looks like something I saw in my dreams the day I decided I wanted to be a landcaper...lol
  6. I would only take the time to plug that into my estimating spreadsheet if I was a viable bidder and could devote the time.

Your well over $ 125,000 and looks like a good job. Davis Bacon?
  7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Ok just to clarify some items, the flagstone walk was removed due to ADA problems. The unit wall will have 50' of geo-grid installed. Pavers (pedestrain) is over 6" of crushed gravel with a 1" sand bed, pavers (vehicular)will be with a 1" bed of sand on concrete slab. Paver type is El Campo II with a three band course of Uni-Granite as soldiers. Outcropping will be 3' to 7' long, 24" to 36" wide and 8" to 12" thick, place on 5 intersections. Plants are common varites but trees will be hard to find due to shortage of top quality 3" material. Davis-Bacon rules apply

[Edited by paul on 11-02-2000 at 01:14 AM]
  8. steveair

How's about 280k sound.........+/- 20k

Hate public bids. Remember working on one for the town and came in with a number around 90k. We were one of the highest, but someone came in silly-low with like 60k, and since the town is CHEAP, they took the bid. Sure enough, it was a wam-bam job and looked like hell.

Funny thing is, I ran into the guy that did the job a few months later and asked how he did it for that price. He responded with "We had a hole to fill in our schedule". Basically, they did the job for nothing but the fact of keeping payroll for the 3 days it took them to do it. Public bids scare the hell out of me.

9. steveair

One more idea,

Add it all up, figure out what it will cost you to do, then slap on the cost of a couple new brand new BMW's as your profit margin............

10. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Beemers, beemers. Everyone wants beemers. I had a ZR1 Vette doing 110 in 3rd gear (had 3 more to go).

Anyway, what's Davis-Bacon rules? See, I told you my bid would be meaningless.