Bid follow-up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Jan 13, 2002.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how everyone aproaches following up bids or if you even follow them up....In the past we would just send a letter (one0 but this year we have been calling and sending a letter...isthis to much or not enough? What kind of success or no success have you had with following up bids? Does it help in your eyes?

2. One simple word to sum it up,

CALL

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I will give a call back in a few days. If nobody is home I will leave a message on the machine but always call back until I get an actual person. I'm not wasting stamps on letters. I think it's a little harder for people to say no when talking on the phone than just throwing your letter away. Besides, I love the challenge of being able to sell what I have to offer and that is best one on one. Alot easier to sell yourself when verbally communicating.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I'll call them a few days later if they don't call me.

Of course, in the spring and summer I am often so dang busy with just the people who DO call back that I don't even have time to bother.

The biggest job we did this year I landed because I persistently called her back. I didn't annoy her. I called a week after the first bid and she said she was definitely interested and would call me back in a few days to set stuff up. Another week or two went by and because she said she was definitely interested but hadn't called me, I called her back. This happened for a good 2 months. Finally, she was ready to go and we landed a HUGE job for us. It was sweet.

I just landed another job this week doing the same thing. If you aren't swamped with work, I definitely recommend calling people back. I keep it simple. I just say, "Hi, this is Jim Lewis with Lewis Landscape calling. I was just following up on that estimate we gave you." Then I stay silent until they respond.