Bid for 20-25 houses in Florida

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contourbs, Aug 5, 2004.

1. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

Just starting out full time. i have a chance to bid 20-25 houses all 1/4 acre lots and all in a circle block. Now remember im in florida and monthly prices are around 65-75 a month.whats a good price per house per month for this,all houses are right there no driving.

2. jeffreyj77

jeffreyj77 LawnSite Member

I would bid them at approx. $15.00 per lot. This sounds like an ideal lawn account to have. Driving to one spot and knocking them all out! You would be looking at $300-$375 per week, or $1,200-$1,500 per month. This is based on 20-25 yards.

3. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

thanks for repling,how about if only 5-10 wanted it or 10-15 and 15 thru 20.i dont want to lose money,but also dont want to lose the bid.my friend lives and the neighborhood and is going to talk to all the neighbors.thanks for the replies

4. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

THe only problem I see is billing & keeping track of who gets what. We have a few homeowners associations we do, around $ 4-5.00/unit/cut. Mind you there are 49 & 72 units, everybody is treated equally, association pays us, one bill one check. We have a circle with 8 homes (single family) 8 bill, 8 checks, time & pstage with each, all are treated differently (some want bagging, line trim special way, etc.). I think you get the drift.

5. A.J.'s Lawn Service

A.J.'s Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I don't know what you are talking about all my accounts are around $100 a month for a 1/4 acre, lot those are low prices and all of my lawns are in 2 neighborhoods.

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

A.J. where are you located? Here in Citrus County the most you can get for 1/4 acre lots is $80-$90 per month. I have 15 lawns that are 1/3 acre and those go for $100-$115. I've tried to get more, but the people in this county won't go for it.

7. A.J.'s Lawn Service

A.J.'s Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I am located in orlando In Seminole County that is the going rate for most LCO's but there are some people that will do for that cheap but jus run over the lawn fast no extras. Quality is another thing and there are people that will pay for quality.

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I am in Brevard and I get from $75 for a mow and blow up to $130 for trim and weeding on 1/4 acre lots.

The thing about your situation is proximity doesn't help nearly as much if you can't do them all like one lawn. When I worked for someone else, we did a community where you started at one end and made a pass between the road and sidewalk of all the houses then turned around and did a pass on the other side of the sidewalk. Continued this way until all was done. That made it much faster (no turning). If you are mowing each as a separate house, you gotta charge a lot more. It was something like 110 houses and it took 30-35 man hours per week. 5 man crew +/- 6 hours.

Bottom line is you gotta charge what you need to make a profit.

30 minutes per unit x 25 units = 750 minutes or 12.5 hours
    So you are looking at a day and a half plus drive time. So call it 14 hours

14 hours x 42 weeks (average for Florida) EOW in winter = 588 hours annually

Annual hours x hourly (costs)rate you have to figure out your costs.

annual hours x your hourly rate you have to set your own worth

Add them together and you have a bid.

So lets say:
    your cost of equipment (amortization)
    gas, oil, blades, string,
    Truck, trailer, tires, tune ups,
    maintenance, billing, office supplies
    say that all costs $20 per hour

Lets say you want to make $30 per hour

So now you have 588hours x $50 = $29400 per year

$29400 / 25 yards = $1176 per yard per year

$1176 / 42 mowes = $28 per cut

These numbers have nothing to do with reality. But, it shows you how I would bid the job. The thing is you have to figure out the time saved by doing them all versus doing each one at a time.

I guess this should be obvious, but edge them all, then mow them all, then trim them all. In what ever order you like. Saves lots of time. Set up a pattern to minimize walking. Figuring this out and billing accordingly is what will make you profitable.

9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Good analysis, Precision LC !

I lived in Merritt Island for 10 years and am familiar with the homes there, in Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, etc....and I just don't see how it's possible to service a 1/4 acre lawn, with all the normal beds and other plantings- and the necessary trimming- in the time some are saying. Your 'estimate' of 30 minutes is more like what I would think, but I really feel "my" time would be close to 40 minutes:angry: , hell, I'm slow I guess.

But, again, thanks for your analysis, very professional and inclusive, IMO.

Steve

10. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

what $100 a month for 1/4 lots in va we are geting 160 a month i to think that i was thinking of moving down there