Bid for 5-20 acre propertys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Feb 3, 2004.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

In follow up to my post about a week ago. I have received a managment company's bid packet for the lawn maintence. I just recieved it today the 3rd of febuary, which it is due on feb 20th, WOW i dont know how they expect me to give them proposals for all of them. They have included maps of the propertys along with sumaries about what is needed. My question is do i have to bid on all of them . becasue there are 12 propertys from 5 acres all the way to 20 acres. This is for full service. Do any of you know? Please help me with suggestions and comments as it is very much needed.

Thanks, Jason

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Jason

No, you probably don't have to bid on all of them. But I can tell you right now that if someone does and you don't, they have the upper hand.

Why? Simple. Less people for the property management people to deal with, less phone calls, fewer checks to write, etc., etc. Property management people are looking for someone (contractors) who can do it all for them and make their job easier.

3. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

ok thanks for that info should i just choose which ones i would like becasue these are large propertys. Should i also walk the propertys even though there is 1' snow on the ground?

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I would bid them all. Take your time doing the estimate. Don't turn in your bid until the due date. This will give you a chance to do a thorough estimate of each property. Don't be afraid to bid on the big ones. You'd be suprised how quickly you can mow 15-20 acres with a Z.

5. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

If it doen't say otherwise, they are probably expecting you to bid on all of them. I sure they would rather deal with one contractor vs. several. Always, Always Always walk the properties. You can burn yourself bad if you figure estimates from the inside of your truck.

6. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

dennis and pl how can i bid the propertys well if i cant tell where the grass is or the beds are we have about 12" of snow on the ground and 8 more tonight on the way. I called them and they said i can bid on them individualy or all which ever ones i prefer. I am going to try my best on the bidding of the one due to it being much closer to my location where the other ones are about 20 miles away.

Jason

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I absolutely hate having to give a bid when the turf area is covered with snow. You might as well be Helen Keller lol. Maps help, but it ain't like walking and seeing up front what's in store for ya...

8. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Even if there is snow, I would still walk the properties. It's still better bidding half blind than completely blind.