Bid for 9,000 square ft. Yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

What would guys charge for a yard this size? It is all flat and it has almost nothing to mow around except a fence. I will be using my 21" Deere until I get a walk behind. This will include mowing, trimming, and edging. The first cut will be very rough on the edger.;)

Thanks...

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would charge $35.00, because that is my minimum.

3. KERRTURF

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

You will get all kinds of opinons on this, and realistically, it is very hard to give accurate advice without seeing the property. The best advice that I could give you is to explore what the market will bear in your area, find out what other LCO's are charging for like conditions then figure out what you have to charge in order to make a profit with the equipment that you have.
    I found out that in order to compete with other LCO's, I had to buy more efficient equipment in order to make a profit. This requires some up front expenses, but in order to make it you have to plan for the long haul. In my area, I would charge between $25 and $30 for a problem free area of this size. Don't forget that you need to charge enough to cover taxes and insurance. Even if you are operating under the table (wich isn't the smartest thing to do) you have to plan for the time when you decide you want or need to go legitimate. This will also make you look more professional than the guy with a pickup and a murray looking for beer money. Hope this helps.

4. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

KERRTURF, that does help. I told the lady $25.00 to cut and trim and $30.00 to cut, trim, and edge. I am currently not insured and I have not had anybody say anything about trying to tax me. I do not know where to start on the taxing and insurance thing. Can I even get insurance at 15 years of age? Where should I begin?

Thanks...