Bid for sod installation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Apr 20, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of submitting a sod installation bid for a residential area that is approx 895 sq feet ...

Mat req:

1) 950 sq feet of sod - $300 inc. delivery
    $1.65 a yard - 105 sq yards required so $173.25 $75 delivery
    thought i'd make an extra $25

2) starter fertilizer, lawn roller rental, 1 / 2 yards of topsoil sod cutter rental - $150

3) prep, removal of turf, level / grade, installation of sod $900

$1350 total .. too low / high?????

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I think its a little high, but thats just me. $900 is a lot for laying 105sq. yards of sod and topsoil. PM me if you want a better explaination.

3. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

I'd say you're right on. I usually price anything under 1000sqft at $1.50/sqft including reasonable amount of prep work, and that comes to $1425.

4. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

This how I price sod:

Square feet divided by 9 equals how many rolls needed.
    Local price to buy delivered sod times 3 plus dirt if required.

Good Luck!

5. alpine692003

So you guys think I'm too high?

895 sq feet .. i'll be getting 950 just to be on the safe side.

$1.65 a yard = 9 sq feet.
    105 sq yards x 1.65 a yard = 173.25

too high for my bid?

6. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

My formula will make you money but I still look at all my sod job for obsticals like trees, roots, how much cutting and room to work, with the tiller and loaders, we usually don't put down fert. and most times to get the grade we take dirt away not add, but if you have the right equipment, ie. tillers tractors pulverizers you can work the ground 4 - 6 inches with out top soil and the grass will be great it is the customers responsibility after that. I leave care instructions it each house.

7. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

Its kind of hard to judge since we are all in different parts of the country. Also, types of sod differ and costs differ for the sod itself. But, where I am, I charge $350 per pallet to install Bermuda. Thats Tifway 419, not Tifsport or some other higher costing grass. That is with a pallet being about 500 sq. ft. Also, on top of the $350 would be any prep work and a delivery fee if I was unable to go get the grass. Now if your prep work was minimal I would charge about $900-$1000 for the job. I also make it very clear, in the nicest way possible, when I leave keeping it watered and alive is not my problem. Good luck.

8. alpine692003

Well my prep work is removing turf and what's beneth the turf is unknown..

How deep down should I till/rotate the soil? 2" deep? 3" deep?