1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bid help needed please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryPaulD, Oct 26, 2005.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I recieved a call and went to look at a property. The fellow needs approximately 8-10 yards of gravel moved from the front of his house to the back of his house. And then a seperate price for spreading it around underneath a deck and making the whole pad 3" thick. The deck at connection of house is about 2 ft. tall and then coming down the slope to the end of the deck is approximately 6 ft. tall. I am imagining some 5gallon pail moving for the 2 ft. section. I'm guessing the deck is about 20 ft. wide. It will have to be done by wheelbarrow and shovel unless my loving mother will let me borrow the lil' kubota with front bucket. Help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Also, I'm guessing the distance from point A to point B being 100 ft. One more thing, he said it took him and his wife about 8 hrs each to do the same amount, and that by wheelbarrow and shovel. This is my first bid for this type of thing. Thank you again
  2. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i try to get $50 a hour for my labor
  3. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

well, I told him $700.00 . He was not planning that for sure. A lil more than he anticipated. Still trying to get the job and explained how I came up with that figure, I told him basically I'm going to have to pick up and move that pile twice, and a trade off for pain in the butt stuff between the 2 operations. I told him it was kind of hard to estimate not knowing how long it would take so like an idiot I say (still trying to get the work) o.k. fine how does $600.00 sound? He is still offstruck, so I said "well that's what it is" He says he'll think about it and it may have to wait, and he'll keep my number and maybe call for some other maintenence things..........Thank you for your time. I say "thank you for the call". :)