1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bid help on patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by flascaper, Jan 2, 2008.

1. flascaper

flascaper LawnSite Member

Customer has a 256 sqft area and removed the sod. He has 200 old style bricks from 1906 date. Wants me to use them and fill rest with concrete or other. I am still green in the pricing of these jobs. I was going to charge somewhere around 3.50 per sq ft. Am I way Off?
  2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

More than likely you are way off. We Need a little more info and your background in hardscaping and what you will actually use for filling the other area. 200 4x8's is about 44 square feet.
  3. flascaper

flascaper LawnSite Member

No clue on the rest. My background is mostly Plant installation and irrigation. But we have done retaining walls using Oldcastle stones, terrace gardens using timbers. In my web site www.advantagelandscapeflorida.com I have pics of a patio. I use crushed concrete as base, tamped then screeded sand base, sand swept. any way just wanted an idea on pricing per sq ft. Lets say i get the bricks and I use Chicago bricks and do the whole thing Herring bone pattern What do I charge? I will be using crushed concrete base. Sand finish base.
  4. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

How long did it take you to do the job on your website?
    What is your hourly rate?
    Add for materials?
    Ass for PROFIT?
    Include allowances for tools!

I know what I charge, but that might not be what you need?

at $3.50 you are too cheap for me.
  5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

here for a job that size you are at 15-20 (depending on a lot of factors) but I know that Florida seems to be less expensive. Do it for whatever amount you can make money on.

I have bid on jobs that I was 2/square less than the next guy. mostly because we can run faster on certain jobs than others can. On other types of hardscaping like walls and walkways we are more expensive than some. It all depends on how you work.
  6. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

You'll need 3 yards of concrete to fill that area at 4". Trucks will deliver 5 minimum here and at $125 per yard that's $625.00 A good concrete guy will want at least another $600.00 to form pour and finish such a small area if he doesn't't need to wheel it to the rear of the property. Then you need to probably ribbon the bricks as into the pattern before you pour and clean them with Muratic acid as the concrete gets finished. So there's another easy $500.00 there. So total just of these costs you have roughly $1725.00 in labor and materials. This comes out to $6.74 per s.f. Add in your profit and you have in pegged. Florida loves this square foot rate but you better sit down and visualize a project before giving a price. That works well for new construction in a large development where every house is uniform. Remember square foot prices are a guide only.