1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bid help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by creek chub, May 27, 2004.

1. creek chub

creek chub LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants me to give her an estimate for trimming her boxwood hedges. I want to do the work but am unsure of what to charge her.

Now, bear in mind I'm new to the scene and don't have gas powered trimmers, yet. So, I have to use my electric ones. I know some of you are screaming out scrub. But this is a new venture and I want to do it right. I could invest in a gas powered trimmer but I kinda want to feel out if there is a big demand in my area for trimming.

Any help would be great.

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

trimmers are about $400 dollars. If this job will pay for the trimmers then buy a pair. They are paid for. I know you have nothing for yourself, but I say you now have the ability to make more money.

I am new too. since March. well over half of my income so far is from clean ups. without a chain saw and a set of bar trimmers I would be way poorer than the +/- $600 I spent on them. That investment has allowed me to earn over $4000 in clean ups. And that is only so far, and this year. My echo saw (ms300) should last 2-4 years. My Stihl trimmer HC 45 should last 2-3 years. Pony up and buy the right equipment it is well worth it.
  3. Prot1

Prot1 LawnSite Member

Electric trimmers certainly dont mean your a scrub. One of the biggest lco's in salt lake runs only electric trimmers. The guys claim the gas are to heavy and dont cut as good. They drag generators and tons of extension cords when trimming.