bid it low to get in the neighborhood.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Jun 11, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

How many times have i read on here, "i bid it low so i can get in the neighborhood." How freaking stupid is that? You pull up to a lawn, it clearly is a $40 lawn, but you bid it for $30 hoping to pick up mrs jones and mrs smith who are neighbors. Meanwhile, all summer long you are sweating your ass off, cutting a $40 lawn for a measly $30, and no one has even noticed you in the neighborhood. "i want to get in the neighborhood so i will cut it too cheap", is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Finally, a year later, mrs smith waddles over and says, "hey lawn boy, how much to wack down my weeds", and you say $40. Mrs smith gasps, and says, "$40?, mrs tuman here is paying $30, why is mine more?" To sum this up, it's just a bad idea to go into a neighborhood and bid low. You'll pick up customers in the neighborhood for doing nice decent work and for your dependability.
    Lawnboys aren't walmarts where they price some things low to get people in the store.
    you agree?
  2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I have not done that but in the early days folks would tell me that if i give them a good price they have lots of other properties ,friends and relations that require my services,,,,,after a few months with nothing happening i would wonder if they really do have other properties, i suspect plenty of people use this trick on unsuspecting LCOs.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Read your history,,, in the early days there were people called BLOCK- BUSTERS.............

they would buy a house in a neaborhood, pay tooo much, rent it to blacks,
    it would drive out the whites. the whites wanted to sell so they would take a lower price, the same person would buy the house move in another black family, futher drive down proptery value and the cycle would keep going....

Block Busters they were called..... same thing here,,,, it makes ya money buy you get people who want to kill you
  4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Jodi,you feel better now. I agree with you Shall I dare say the word we all don't like to see on here. That is what they are doing to get into that neighborhood and we all know what that does.

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I agree, it is ********.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

so if i set up my hot dog cart across from u and sell for 25% less then u what r u going to do lower your price? or fail? maby ill throw in a free drink also now what u gonna do????????
    i have seen guys do this with lawn mowing and they take the block or at least enough to make it tough on the guys that r also mowing so do u want fries with that???????
  7. justinduke

justinduke LawnSite Member

If they want to mow it for nothing let them. Too many other yards out there to worry about a couple you're not going to make any money on.
  8. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have bid low on my first customer in a neighbor hood with these specifics. I give them a low price per cut ($30) with them understanding that it should be this amount ($45). I tell them that I'll do it for that amount for one year, but for each customer that they get me on the street will gain them another year at that price and if they spill the beans on their deal the price goes up. I have been very sucesful using this strategy in 2 areas. The first customer on both these streets are my best salesmen. I have over 8 houses in both neigborhoods at $45 each plus the original at $30
  9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

MAN! That was intense!

Seriously, I have one neighborhood that I have several accounts around 6000 sq.ft. but a high dollar area. Minimum $200 per month. Funny how I've actually grown in this neighborhood and I originally overbid because I didn't really care if I got it.:rolleyes:
  10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Jody,
    I agree. It brings us all down. The price of gasoline has driven most of them in my area out of business. I see less and less startups on the shoestring buget this year.

Lets here it for OPEC!:nono: