1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bid--not to get

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassdaddy, Mar 27, 2003.

1. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone go to bid a job, and it's so awful,that you bid it so high ,you know they'll never go for it??
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

All the time. I figure if I am going to get stuck doing it, I am at least going to make it worth my while. :cool:
  3. Yeah, and they took the bid, I had to tell them I am booked up now.
  4. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

Yeah I've done that before on a lady yard that hadn't been mowed for about two month. See wanted it cut and the grass picked up. The yard was approx. 12,000 sq ft. and the grass was about 2 foot tall. I told her that I couldn't mow that with my mowers (Theu probally would have knocked it down but not worth the wear on the mowers). I told her it needed bush hogged. Then I would mow and pick up the grass for $300 one time deal. I couldn't believe it when he said O.K. and she would have it bush hogged. Took me 3 hours to get the grass mowed and picked up! Every one that I bid high and don't want I almost always end up with. But the good part is I make a killing at them.
  5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

those are the ones i usually get!!hahah
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, done that. If it's hard to figure exactly, go high. Sometimes they take it, sometimes not. either way, it's OK.

7. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

All the time. I figure if the job is going to be a pain to do, I want to make good $$$ on it. Then at least when we are slaving away on it, when its done I can smile when I send the bill.:D
  8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I think most of us have been there. Over pricing jobs and getting them. Then thinking, I should of asked for more! Trouble is, we dont know how much the last guy wanted! Oh well, Its money all the same!
  9. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

A lady told me the other day "I'm willing to pay $50 for 5 hours labor". I told her to "catch one of the neighborhood kids as they pass on their bikes and ask them"!
  10. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Did it just this week. A buddy of mine in the business and I were comparing notes on bids. We both had the same house. I asked him what he bid and he replied about $287.00/month and that she wouldn't be calling him anytime soon. I said she would be calling him before she ever called me because I bid it at $340.00 a month. We both decided independently from the voice mail that she was a major PITA.