bid on 2.5 mil

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mark05, Jun 19, 2006.

1. mark05

mark05 LawnSite Member
    from ga

I would like to thank any and everyone who responds to this thread in advance for your response. I have an in with a contract to cut 2.5 million sf. of grass.
    the bid is for cutting,weed control, leaf removal, trimming and prunning.
    I have only been in the bussiness for 2 seasons and am not quit sure how to bid this much work.:eek:
    I have the bid sheet from the last bid,(three years ago)it seems kinda low to me.looks to me like with three guys and myself we should be able to get it all done in at least four days.
    faster once we get a system down. the total is spread out over 6 places.
    sure wish this had spell check.

thanks again for any help.

2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

You do realize that 2.5 million square feet is like 60 acres, right? That's a big contract to say the least. I have no idea what to bid, but I know that you will spend 30 grand or so just in mowers to get tooled up for it. Sounds like one for a big company with lots of guys, toys and experience.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

We fully service one (complete lawn AND landscape care) that is 125 acres, one location and we get $180,000.00 a year. I have 6 guys on it 2 days a week.

BTW, we also have about $90,000 worth of equipment on that site with them those two days each week.

4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Simply amazing. I have a 43 acre property that I bid two days ago that goes pretty much hand in hand with the above poster. The bid was $68990 for the year with $28000 worth of equipment.......not on site though.

5. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

That must be a beautiful thing to have! The account and the equipment! Good for you! Gives me something to shoot for in the near future! :drinkup:

6. mark05

mark05 LawnSite Member
    from ga

Thanks guys for the comments. :hammerhead: i have been racking my brain over this. the only thing i think i have to buy is a bigger mower.they want us to use a hustlerz w/ rear eject.the guys they use now have broken several car windows and one on the building. we are small but hopefully will not be a prob.

7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I would advise you to not take this big job. You will put all your effort into this one account and the rest of your accounts will suffer. What happens when this big accound decides to go with another company? Leave the big stuff for the big guys and and work your way up to larger accounts.

8. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

wise man.... dont take it on unless every other aspect of your business will not suffer

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

VERY Good advice.....listen to the man! I assure you that even though now we maintain hundreds and hundreds of acres of lawn and landscape.....we sure has heck didn't start out that way.....and I have been in this business 27 years......

10. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

IF you have to ask, you probably shouldnt be bidding on it.