Bid on 42 miles right of way

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MP350, Dec 19, 2003.

1. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Got a bid package today to mow 42 miles of right of ways, must commence and be completed within 20 days of issuance of purchase order. Here's the kicker you must use their tractor & bush hog,do all the maintenance on the tractor and shall not repair or cause to be repaired the districts tractor.And you only have 10 days to submit a bid. How can you prepare a bid in only 10 days not knowing how this tractor performs, how about fuel consumption ,oil change cost, etc. I plan to just put a no bid on the package.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Is this for state, county, or local government?

3. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Local goverment
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like whoever put this bid package together already has in mind who they want. Simply becasue the lack of information provided.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

How is the best way to say this...

The bid package goes in the trash can.
  6. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Hoss !
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Ditto on the trash!!!
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Instead of putting it out to bid, why don't they just hire someone to drive their tractor?
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Encountered the same thing and the reason its put to bid is local politics and the last guy that was mowing beat the crap out of the trac. so now they want to see how much they can save by hiring it out. Bid it this way,3 yr cotract, Your equipment, set the price and explained that they can sell there trac. which helps offset the cost and you have your own ins. worker comp etc. That will eliminate 1-2 twp. or whatever employee. I did a twp. this same way and made out pretty good plus I picked up a bunch of extras. I would say its worth putting the bid in, nothing to loose except $$$$

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Dealing with any government is a pain in the A$$. I would run from this bid as fast as possible.