Bid on 50K sq ft

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Oct 23, 2009.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Guys,

Quick acid test for Upper Midwest review....
    For 2010 I bid on a resi acct at 50K sq ft. Each app w/b dry broadcast fert with liquid weed control applied by skidspray. Good sized resi lot, but these are friends of mine and I wanted to bid it as the service level they got with Trugreens was not good.

I bid at $200/ac of turf or $240 per app for this acct. I really tried to do my research on bidding these larger resi lawns correctly - also feel this level will cover my costs nicely. Whatcha think? Don't usually put bid info on here but wanted a one time litmus test.....

2. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

DA, i am just a home owner and thats why i went out and bought a z spray jr i called around a few years back and TG and scotts and another company all gave me prices in the 4k year range one was around 4500.00 per year for that price thats why i went out and got a jr. my turf is 43k sq ft

3. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Most guys I talk to are in the $100-150 per acre price range. My area could be different than yours though.

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

My brief experience with Brickman was similar to this..but for commercial work and things like 1/4lb N. Residential is WAY different in the Northeast anyway. Try using $30/1000 as a baseline and go up or down from there depending on the factors you commonly encounter. I've seen a lot of guys over the years and the ones that are charging 150/acre rarely know more than how to apply and or operate the machine. If you know how to grow grass (ie edges are nice..not missed) you should be charging more than 150/acre. Maybe 35-60 or so for 10k and under and 25-35 above that. It sounds like your right on..maybe even a little lite.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

$100/ac??
    Way I figure, for 50k sq ft, you would have $65-75 or so in materials costs with NO markup straight cost (talking quality materials, slow release dry fert not slop on the liquid N).
    So you are getting $25 an app for your labor? I would not work for that.

6. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

We are a long ways from you but---- $200.00 per acre lot is the going rate here. And that is with a house on it. Just imagine pushing a spreader in the middle of July on it, then walking around with a backpack sprayer (or dragging a hose) on it. That is a lot of time. I wouldnt touch an acre lot for a penny less. Although I do use a PG and it only takes 20 minutes no walking required. I remember my first two acre lot before I had a PG. IT SUCKED!

7. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I would be finding somewhere else to buy materials.

8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

So tell us what you pay for a bag of lets say something like a 30-5-9..or sim..just for arguements sake.

9. KES

KES LawnSite Member

Your price sounds good to me. Price it where you can make money. You do not want to be out there and hate yourself because you gave it away to a friend.
    Also you have to look at it another way. 50K sqft of turf would take 50 minutes to spray by hand if it was flat and no breaks. Now figure you would be out there at least 70 minutes or more depending on the yard and weeds, etc. In that same 70 minutes you could treat 4-6 4k-6k sqft yards at whatever your rate if they were close enough together.
    In other words, your acre price and time should equal what you could make if you were treating other yards in the same time frame.
    Example Lets say I get $50 for 6K sqft and I can treat it in 15 minutes, that is $200 a hour. So in 60 minutes I can treat an acre or 4 yards. I hope this makes sense.

10. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't think thats out of line if the guys here wanted to charge me 200.00 to 250.00 per app i would have got it done but they wanted to charge me 800.00 per app screw that......