1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bid on 7 acres with a catch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheOnlyBamBam, Apr 21, 2009.

1. TheOnlyBamBam

TheOnlyBamBam LawnSite Member

I recently had a lady call me and wanted me to mow her 7 acres. I'm only used to 1-2 acres. So do you bid differntly?I'll be cutting with a 60 in. The land is plain and flat. no trimming. also im wanting a new mower and this could provide income along with the money to make payments on the new mower. and comments, suggestions? thanks
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

$205 ($29.28 / acre)
    I suppose you could do it for 200 but it's getting a bit tight, 190 at the absolute lowest.
    Might try start out with 210?
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Let me offer one thing that you DO NOT want to do. That is to buy a piece of equipment for one account. I did that once and lost the account in a very short time to someone who would do it for almost free. Now on the bid what kind of grass is it? When I get a call in my area for large acreage it is always dang bahai grass. I don't care what the mower mfg say you can cut so many acres per hour blah blah you won't do it with this grass. I would say without seeing it though around 200-225 here would be pushing it. You will see some on here that will be a lot higher and some lower. Depends on what your area will bring.
  4. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Should not take you over 2 hours is you were moving pretty quick. So roughly 100 bucks an hour gross.

Dang, I cut 27 acres for $700 with a 5 foot bush hog, maybe I'm getting jipped?? oh well.
  5. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

3 hours tops. How much do you charge hourly? Outside of Cleveland, we would have to charge around 120.00 to be competitive. Might get underbidded.
  6. topsites

Yup, rule of business, don't do that.

LMFAO well all right at least I know I'm not the only one!
    Chickweed and centipede, patches of clover for a speed burst and stalks of onion grass for 'flavor'
    Don't forget the occasional brick, tree stump, and man-size hole :laugh:

Yup, 7 acres with a 60" take you around 4-5 hours with trimming, and hustle.
    6 hours if it's bad, all day if it's *&%^
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  7. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

Thats some good advice.
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I cut 2 acres in a hour. That's with lots of trees and a huge hill. You must be using a 21 push mower. :)
  9. topsites

60" just like yours, I'm not trying to plow into a heat pump but let me guess you took the ROPS off yours, too?
    I reckon that's the kind of guy we'll be reading about in the obits this year.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  10. Hell on Blades

Hell on Blades LawnSite Senior Member

Lets get back to the initial post -- only buy the equipment if you need it for more than one job... But also, wait until you have the money for it!!! -- DO NOT USE CREDIT..