Bid on a shopping center. Need Help!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mwalz, Feb 26, 2014.

1. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Btw, i would charge $105, so the OP is spot on
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of good points made here.

The ten day cycle is not good in spring but perfect through the summer. I do 10 day cycles through the summer for most of my residential properties. My customers and I are ok with mowing on the weekends.

In this area, I find that most lawns require 20 to 24 cuts a year using a variable cycle of once a week in spring and every ten days through the summer.

Mwalz, if your friend and your 36" are reliable then pursue this. If you have doubts about any of this, then pass. Residential properties are plentiful and it is not as easy to get in over your head.

Myself, I would probably pass on this one, unless the location and price made it too tempting. If i did consider it, I would bid $125. to 150. depending on factors like trimming, cars overhanging the grass, trash, and the other things others wisely noted.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

ever heard of a sulky?

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

dont pick up the trash, kick it out of the way.

Trash isn't mentioned, it isn't bid, you're not the trash man.

Malls and shopping plazas frequently have a man for that.

If it's not specifically called out in the bid then you don't bid it because you're competition won't be.

If it becomes a big obstacle you simply tell the manager/owner...This trash needs to be picked up regularly, unless you want to pay me to do it.

Just like a residential, do you factor in hoses, hammocks, dog toys and frisbees when you give your price...or do you talk to the owner about all the ridiculous lawn obstacles?

Some resi's wont have a single thing in the lawn, others will be covered.

some commercials wont have trash to pick up, the wind blows it some where else.

5. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I do pick up the trash (it takes little longer than kicking it), but I often put it in the bid, and it is in my service description, and often on the invoice. Trash is a fact of life and some areas are worse than others.

I had one helper who would not pick up trash, even after I mentioned it several times. One day I saw him drive the mower around the trash and give it a dirty look. Later, I said to him, that at least he gave it a dirty look, and after that he started picking it up.

6. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Picking up trash is a pain. I'll do it as residentials, because it's almost always litter. If it's their own trash (cuz they're slobs) it's their problem.

Commercials it's either in the price (and make note of it, they have the option to not include it, therefore its never your problem ever) or someone else's job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

I really want this account, and it will help me with my commercial properties. I am confident in both handhelds and the mower to last. And the fact i have a friend will make it go faster. I'm considering getting another 36" real cheap and we can cut all properties faster. But then i have to pay him. Then again we could cut lawns faster and get more done quicker. Thanks for all the help guys. I talked to a local guy who is a friend, and he said go for it, but do it the first time, and then see if it is cost effective in the amount of time that it takes to do it. Which sounds good. I want to try to get at least 5 commercial properties this year as well. And i also have a sulky to ride on.

8. PenningsLandscaping

I wouldn't get another 36, seriously look into a used larger turf tracer. If you're doing commercial and large residentials, get a 60" and fly through them. The increase in efficiency over the 36 will pay for itself in less than a week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

10. PenningsLandscaping

Nice unit, I think 3,100 is a little high on a former rental though. God only knows what it's been through.
    Posted via Mobile Device