Bid on a shopping center. Need Help!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mwalz, Feb 26, 2014.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

dude, you have one single narrow experience in one place, doing this for a limited time.
    How is it that this is magically according to you, the only way that can be 'right'?

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

What is this thread about again??????
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing magical about it. While you're posting page long formulas and counting beans for what you can get or got back in the day, others and I are posting numbers of what we need to get. Pretty simple.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Back in the day dealer/lawnservice by tp.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. TPendagast

Male

actually I'm posting formulae for what the kid can get right now…not back in the day.

Ive been doing this for 20 years… still do it now.

I didn't know they made ferris evolutions back in the day, I must own futuristic mowers I got for George Jetson?

Mwlaz:

What did you decide on? It looked like $140 or $150… when are you putting in your price?

6. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Figure out how much you need to price this job at to be profitable at your current level of production and bid this job at or above this number.

If you get the job, great, you have a profitable job.

If you don't get the job, move on to the next potential job.

Stop wasting time…you started this thread on 2/26 and it is now 3/1…it is way past the time to submit your bid.

Multiply your hourly rate by the estimated number of man hours needed to complete this job and you have your minimum price for this job.

Either bid you minimum or bid above your minimum…the choice is yours. The higher you bid, the more profitable the job will be if you get it…If you bid too high, you risk not getting the job.

Good luck, submit your bid and let us know on Monday if you got the job.

7. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I will call him back tomorrow since it is too late tonight and bid $140. That is plenty enough for me to make money at it, and if he wants to negotiate a price of $125, I will do it because I want to get my name out to commercial businesses. And if he manages multiple properties, then this one job could lead to 10 commercial jobs. And that would he awesome.

8. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you'll get it, fingers crossed for you my man, let us know how it goes. In the future, be quicker with bids, I know you wanted to get people's input, but you really don't want to wait on this stuff.

I'm doing my first bid of 2014 tomorrow for plowing and weekly mowing, potential for clean ups. Two properties, one owner, so should be a nice pick up if I get it. We'll see what happens, I know theres a couple of guys ready to fire up their toro timecutters that are salivating over it.

9. TPendagast

Male

don't be so quick to throw away $15…if $140 is your price $15 represents a significant portion of your profit.

If he wants to negotiate lower, ask him if he has additional work first. don't just leap at a price reduction for nothing in exchange.

If you're only 16, you have plenty time to hunt for commercial debuts

10. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

If you give a good but reasonable price from the start there is no need to negotiate. Dropping the price by over 10% simply because there is mention of other work will set a bad precedent. They will expect you to discount everything 10%.

If they request a discount and want to dangle 10 jobs in front of your nose without a commitment in writing, you tell them that you'd happy to give them a nice discount when you get that tenth job not the first job. And then tell them that you are confident that your $140 price is a fair and reasonable price for both of you and them.