1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bid on edging only.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bayoulawn, Apr 21, 2004.

1. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

If you were asked to bid a bank for edging only, no mowing.
    Would you bid it by linear feet or what? And If so, how much per foot?

I will also be maintaining planting beds, but its the edging I was wondering about.
  2. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

:eek: Well i have worked for banks and it was always about money. Anyway--- how many homes could you edge in the time it would take to edge the bank? I'm guessing about 2-3 homes. I will charge $10 to $15 to just edge an average house in my area. So I'd say $30 to $45.
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure about your areas (Fla. and La.), but around here edging is charged by the linear foot. I charge $1/ft and don't have any problem getting my price; especially when joe homeowner gets out there with a spade and finds out how much time and labor it takes.
  4. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

Dito... Do you do it with a long handled flat spade?
  5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

No way. That's just too much work for me. I use a bed edger that I bought at Kenmulch, but charge the same as I would if I was doing it with a spade. After all, if the bed edger quits on me I'm going to end up doing the job by hand, and don't think a customer would appreciate/understand it if I changed the bid just because I no longer have that piece of equipment.
  6. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Get that new Bed Edger little wonder makes man you can do 100 somethin feet a minute. I want one but dont have a real need for it as i only cut beds in at spring cleanup time. If anyone has used on tell me what you think of it.
  7. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

I dont mean bed edging i mean side walk edging.

I think?

I better ask and find out for sure.
  8. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

If the edging is bad say it haven't been edged in a while then I will bid by the hour because cleanup is involved.

I have a trim rite I use for the bad ones.
  9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

What, 1 dollar a foot for edging? Thats absolutely insane.