bid on fast food rest.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Connie, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Connie

Connie LawnSite Member

I have the opportunity to bid on 4 Mc. D's restaurants. I haven't done alot of commercial bidding -- Was wondering if I could get some help --- Do you have a minimum charge? Do you charge more since commercial? One of them is only 3,000sf, another is only 7,000sf, 9100sf, and the fourth is around 42,500sf. I have a 48" Exmark walk behind and 48" Exmark ZTR.
  2. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

one of these mc d's has 42,500 sqft that sounds like a huge lot for a fast food
  3. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

That last one needs room for Mcspansion.
  4. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Before you give this company a bid, you may want to check with the previous LCO (if any) as to thier credit worthyness. I have done work for many of these types of restarants in the past and on many of them getting paid was a fight with the ownership or management , they can and will string you out for months if you arn't carefull. A friend of mine was screwed out of 4 months pay for a chain of burger kings that were franchises, the other issue is dealing with a store manager that will try to get freebee's out of you because they many times are paid on the profitability of the store and any money they pay you comes out of his pocket.

How do I know these things, my wife was a Mcdonalds store manager for years before she went to work for KFC.
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

You need to charge what you feel is going to make you a profit..
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I do a couple of these fast food types .... yes 30 days net is true ...charge good as lots of liabilities with people n cars ...

also a Mc D's goona be a nightmare as as far as working when customers are coming n going's not like 6am aint their busy time ...we find that just before 10 am is best or than 2-3 afternoon ....good luck ;->
  7. MWM

MWM LawnSite Member

Of the 300 plus properties my company currently maintains about 25 are McDonalds spread over 3 counties. Getting paid is not an issue with these corporate owned stores. They prepaid, believe it or not, for a contract that includes mowing, lawn fertilization, annuals,weeding, spring cleanup(edging and mulching) and summer touchup. You need to be very aware that curb appeal and customer service are #1 priorities. Send me a private message for specific questions.
  8. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Connie; I used to several of these type accounts and can tell you to make sure you add some kind of fee factor for trash and used baby diapers because your going to see more than your fair share of both.Most of the maintenance people for the restaurants will be more than happy to leave the diapers for you.
  9. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Some are good and some are not. I once bid on 15 Burger Kings and got beat out by $25 for the total and later they called to ask me to do them since the cheaper company did not work out. Sorry!!!! I am reasonable but you will really have to sharpen your pencil to get them. I just lost a bid for 12 assorted smaller 6000 to 100,000 sq ft locations. My mow bid was close @2.00 per thousand but my fert bid of 5.00 per thousand was double. They can't be making anything on the fert to speak of. Oh well!!
  10. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Tyner; That's how I lost my contracts. One store manager's husband decided he could maintain them cheaper so he found out what my bids were and undercut me. I was pretty reasonable from an lco's profit margin but not for some guy just picking up a few extra bucks.Connie; for your original post I can say I didn't mind having these accounts but; there is no loyalty no matter how good a job you do because they strickly focus on budget so make sure you give yourself a good margin and don't think if you give them a good deal it will become a given they will keep you.Now should I turn him in when I see him spraying weed killer with no license...Hmmm?