Bid on mulching job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Feb 25, 2002.

1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

65 Hoss's thread on bidding has inspired me to create this thread. I'm getting ready to submit a mulching bid for a commercial account and was curious to see what kind of bids ya'll would come up with. Here are the specifics:

1. Job will require 75 cubic yards of mulch spread about 2 inches thick. 5 loads of mulch would be drop at strategic places at the site.

2. Mulch will have to be wheelbarrowed to beds. Furthest point away from any given pile would be 125 feet. Average distance would be 50 feet.

3. Most of the beds are flat. About 15 yards of mulching involves a 45 degree slope. Shrubs are spaced out pretty good so there's no Twister Mulching involved.

4. Prep work before mulching is as follows. 4 hours of light pruning of Hollys, 6 hours of edging beds, and 4 hours to clean beds of leaves.

Like 65Hoss said in his thread, please no arguing.

Thanks in advance--- LAWNS AND MOWER

2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

1. mulch approximate $3300 give or take
    2. pruning 4hr x $25hr=$100
    3. bed edging 6hr.x$25hr=$150(more if using bed edging machine.)
    4. leaf cleanup etc. 4hr x $25hr=$100

total: $3650.00

we charge $50 a yard for double shredded dark mulch, unless it is more than 25 yards. then we give price break a lttle bit. have charged same price for mulch for 13 years.

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd bid an even $5,000.

$60/yard installed which would include the edging. I chose this due to volume as well as to be competitive on a commercial bid. Around here I get close to $100/yard installed at a residential.

$500 for the pruning and cleanup.

I am assuming that these are huge wide open beds where it will be more dump and rake as opposed to hand spreading.

4. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch will be double ground so yes, most of it is dump and smooth with pitchfork or rake. About 20% of the mulching won't require wheelbarrows but instead spread from the piles.

LAWNS AND MOWER

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I would recommend renting/using a skid steer to load an/or move some of the mulch!

If you're comfortable charging $25.00 per manhour - so be it. Most of us are at $35+/manhour depending on task.
    I would also try to get a trailerload rate for the mulch (bypass your normal supplier) as this will save up to $7/yd. in materials.

If the mulching is wide open - you could pr4obably get a very good qualit dsh mulch for $12/yard, and be able to make a nifty profit at as little as $45/yd w/ this quantity. (Again - weigh the cost of a machine doing the loading of barrows - if you have the 10 cuft. barrows, the machine will load 2 of them in under a minute) Even if you only own 2 of them - 75yds*3 barrows/yd = 225 barrows or approx 115 loads/barrow w/ a fudge factor). You can definately get the mulch at least into the beds if not spread and done in a day w/ four guys. Do the math!

For mulching only - you'd had 75 yards plus machine for one day (under $1200.00 including tax) If you even work a 10 hr day w/ 4 guys at your normal rate of $25/mh (40mh*25 =$1000) just think how much more $ you get in pocket at $45/yd ($3375.00 vs $2200) and other than your prep - the job is done in 1 day!

No brainer!!
    Bob

6. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Total bid of $4,980.00. Breakdown as follows;

$60.00 per yard installed.

$180.00 for hand edging.

$300.00 for clean-up and prune.

Mulch is cheap here in Central Pa. about $10.00 per yard for double ground, therfore a better price for installation. This project may need a pad, the 45 degree slope could pose a problem in installation. If slope is bad, add another $150.00 for aggrevation....

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

About $5500.00 here also.

9. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

$5190.00

10. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

(1) day job to complete all the work with about (7) guys.

1. (75) yard mulch installation = $4125.00
    note: using our skid steer to load all wheel barrows, and spread mulch in areas where skid steer can be used.

2. Misc. work = (14) additional man hours = $490.00

Bid price = $4600.00